Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Need help setting up SPA-2002

Need help setting up SPA-2002

Rick Merrill

wkearney99 wrote:

>>with the router between you and the system, the ATA cannot do QoS
>>(quality of service; in other ATA that pass through the ethernet they
>>can throttle back the other service to maintain latency and throughput
>>for the phone connection)

> While technically there's merit, the conditions on the ground make it
> unlikely to matter. You assume the ISP will have their act together on QoS.
> At this point in time that's not looking all that good.
>

>>Therefore you need to be sure to use 'switches' (not just routers)
>>because the switch can put the ATA on a network of its own, and
>>subsequent switches also maintain that.

> But by the time you bother with the expense to purchase such things and burn
> the hours configuring them you'll get nowhere if the ISP doesn't have it's
> act together and MOST do NOT. Think about it, using PPPoE ain't exactly
> conducive to QoS integration.
>
> And, finally, the equipment in question here doesn't even HAVE the necessary
> ports to make it happen. So while you're grasping at a concept of
> technically slim merit, it won't do jack-**** to help answer the actual
> question.

I must agree with you about PPPoe. I think our conclusion is that the
equipment in question is inadequate.

Miguel Cruz

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Miguel Cruz wrote:
>> The router doesn't know anything about the segments created by the switch.
>> If your neighbor is doing a large file transfer that clogs your outbound
>> link, it's not going to matter whether you have a gigabit switch or an old
>> vacuum tube 10-base-T hub.

> That's exactly why you should not have the router between the ATA and
> the cable modem. The cable modem uses time slots so that your
> neighbor's use does not impact your bandwidth. MY ATA does passthrough
> and maintains perfect sound quality at all times.

And now we've come full circle. His ISP requires PPPoE and his ATA does not
support that, so he needs the router between them.

miguel

artlab

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> wkearney99 wrote:
>
> >>with the router between you and the system, the ATA cannot do QoS
> >>(quality of service; in other ATA that pass through the ethernet they
> >>can throttle back the other service to maintain latency and throughput
> >>for the phone connection)

> > While technically there's merit, the conditions on the ground make it
> > unlikely to matter. You assume the ISP will have their act together on

QoS.
> > At this point in time that's not looking all that good.
> >

> >>Therefore you need to be sure to use 'switches' (not just routers)
> >>because the switch can put the ATA on a network of its own, and
> >>subsequent switches also maintain that.

> > But by the time you bother with the expense to purchase such things and

burn
> > the hours configuring them you'll get nowhere if the ISP doesn't have

it's
> > act together and MOST do NOT. Think about it, using PPPoE ain't exactly
> > conducive to QoS integration.
> >
> > And, finally, the equipment in question here doesn't even HAVE the

necessary
> > ports to make it happen. So while you're grasping at a concept of
> > technically slim merit, it won't do jack-**** to help answer the actual
> > question.
> >

> I must agree with you about PPPoe. I think our conclusion is that the
> equipment in question is inadequate.

Which equipment might that be??? The Bellsouth equipment that employs PPPoE
or the Sipura ATA that does not support it???

Art