Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > What IP address does my Vonage box talk to?

What IP address does my Vonage box talk to?

cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com

I'd like to monitor Internet traffic to and from the address that
Vonage uses to communicate with my Vonage device.
What address do they talk to? Can I look into my RT31p2 and figure
this out?

Chris
cjtwantstoknow

Ramon F Herrera

Chris:

If you want to know that kind of information, you have signed with the
wrong provider and have the wrong box. Vonage has an advertising
campaign in which they stress "No Nerds Needed", in which they also
should say: "If you are a nerd, go get your SIP service elsewhere".
Vonage was designed for the general, more ignorant (and abundant)
public.

Having said that, you may use any network sniffer, such as Ethereal to
capture the packets that come from or go to the IP address of you box.

-Ramon

cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com

Thanks Ramon.

The reason I need to know is that I need to determine the cause of me
dropping phone calls. Sometimes, the downstream is ok but the upstream
cuts out completely - the person on the other side hears a click.

I am running a ping monitor to see if there's any correlation but my
sense is that there will not be any correlation. Other things that I
will check is that the cables are well seated.

The Vonage router has been rebooted .

I need to find the cause for the interruptions between Vonage,
Internet, and Comcast.

Chris

cjtwantstoknow

Ramon F Herrera

Chris -the one who wants to know- wrote:

> I need to find the cause for the interruptions between Vonage,
> Internet, and Comcast.

For what is worth, I have a Sipura box and my ISP is Comcast, too.
I am paying a few extra bucks a month to Comcast in order to get a
dedicated IP for the SIP phone. That way I don't have to deal with
NAT hell. My setting works perfectly.

Are your problem mostly with outbound calls, inbound or both?

Since Vonage forces their customers to purchase a castrated box, upon
which you have no control, they should be the ones to diagnose and fix
your problem.

In order to isolate the problem, you could run some tests with a free
SIP provider:

http://www.freeworlddialup.com

but to do that you need a SIP box that can be configured.

In short, Vonage "doesn't want you to know".

-Ramon

Robert C. Martin

If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is
192.168.15.1.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'd like to monitor Internet traffic to and from the address that
> Vonage uses to communicate with my Vonage device.
> What address do they talk to? Can I look into my RT31p2 and figure
> this out?
>
> Chris
> cjtwantstoknow

Martin E. Zulliger

Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
Vonage?

I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
5060 each time you place a call.

They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
gateway.

One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
make it send something.

I hope this is useful!

Regards
Martin

Robert C. Martin wrote:
> If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is
> 192.168.15.1.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>I'd like to monitor Internet traffic to and from the address that
>>Vonage uses to communicate with my Vonage device.
>>What address do they talk to? Can I look into my RT31p2 and figure
>>this out?
>>
>>Chris
>>cjtwantstoknow

cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com

Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran
pingplotter to determine where packets were being dropped. It turned
out that there were (and still are) problems at Vonage itself, along
with a network hop hosted by Global Crossing in NY.

It seems that Vonage needs more points-of-presence for proxy servers on
the Internet. VOIP is great, as long as there's enough capacity -
apparently not the case with Vonage.

Chris

Martin E. Zulliger wrote:
> Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
> sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
> Vonage?
>
> I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
> is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
> 5060 each time you place a call.
>
> They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
> anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
> gateway.
>
> One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
> unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
> are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
> make it send something.
>
> I hope this is useful!
>
> Regards
> Martin
>

> Robert C. Martin wrote:
> > If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is
> > 192.168.15.1.
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> >>I'd like to monitor Internet traffic to and from the address that
> >>Vonage uses to communicate with my Vonage device.
> >>What address do they talk to? Can I look into my RT31p2 and figure
> >>this out?
> >>
> >>Chris
> >>cjtwantstoknow

Martin E. Zulliger

Yeah, that is sadly something that happens with VoIP. Sometimes someone
is playing with the routing tables and all your net goes down.

At my co we're looking for ways to make VoIP service as redundant as
possible, playing with several proxies and DNSs, but the nature of VoIP
make it difficult to achive real redundancy. For example if your net
goes down, your clients may be able to place new calls using a secondary
proxy but many of the calls which were in progress on the first proxy
will be interrupted. An alternative is IPV6 but we're still testing that
one.

Capacity in VoIP is kinda a synomym of bandwidth, if you have bandwidth,
you have (almost) all you need, since the hardware requeriments are
usually minimum (well unless you're doing DSP for audio compressing or
something like that).

Anyway to work in VoIP is really fun, and it is obviously the future of
the voice communications over the world.

We're going to release to the OSS community something we think will be
useful to a lot of VoIP enthusiasts (like us); a way to bring VoIP to
high level programming languages like Java and Python using XML (we're
already using it for routing our traffic).

Well its enough of my philosophy, Im sure Im becoming boring

Martin

> Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran
> pingplotter to determine where packets were being dropped. It turned
> out that there were (and still are) problems at Vonage itself, along
> with a network hop hosted by Global Crossing in NY.
>
> It seems that Vonage needs more points-of-presence for proxy servers on
> the Internet. VOIP is great, as long as there's enough capacity -
> apparently not the case with Vonage.
>
> Chris
>
> Martin E. Zulliger wrote:
>
>>Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
>>sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
>>Vonage?
>>
>>I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
>>is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
>>5060 each time you place a call.
>>
>>They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
>>anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
>>gateway.
>>
>>One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
>>unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
>>are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
>>make it send something.
>>
>>I hope this is useful!
>>
>>Regards
>>Martin
>>

>>Robert C. Martin wrote:
>>
>>>If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is
>>>192.168.15.1.
>>>
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) egroups.com...

noone@nowhere.com

pls see my question below

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:30:54 GMT, "Martin E. Zulliger"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yeah, that is sadly something that happens with VoIP. Sometimes someone
>is playing with the routing tables and all your net goes down.
>
>At my co we're looking for ways to make VoIP service as redundant as
>possible, playing with several proxies and DNSs, but the nature of VoIP
>make it difficult to achive real redundancy. For example if your net
>goes down, your clients may be able to place new calls using a secondary
>proxy but many of the calls which were in progress on the first proxy
>will be interrupted. An alternative is IPV6 but we're still testing that
>one.
>
>Capacity in VoIP is kinda a synomym of bandwidth, if you have bandwidth,
>you have (almost) all you need, since the hardware requeriments are
>usually minimum (well unless you're doing DSP for audio compressing or
>something like that).
>
>Anyway to work in VoIP is really fun, and it is obviously the future of
>the voice communications over the world.
>
>We're going to release to the OSS community something we think will be
>useful to a lot of VoIP enthusiasts (like us); a way to bring VoIP to
>high level programming languages like Java and Python using XML (we're
>already using it for routing our traffic).
>
>Well its enough of my philosophy, Im sure Im becoming boring
>
>Martin
>
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran
>> pingplotter to determine where packets were being dropped. It turned
>> out that there were (and still are) problems at Vonage itself, along
>> with a network hop hosted by Global Crossing in NY.

Hey Chris, or anyone else who wants to answer...Does the Linksys 4
port router (I use one) permit some kind of port-monitor? Some
router/ switch manufacturers might use a different name for it...but,
what I'm asking is: how do u setup Etherreal to "bridge" the port you
want to monitor? I remember one of the Nortel switches allowed you to
specify what port you want to monitor, and all traffic on that port in
both directions [I think] got fwd'd to your port (that PC is connected
to).

Zeng

>> It seems that Vonage needs more points-of-presence for proxy servers on
>> the Internet. VOIP is great, as long as there's enough capacity -
>> apparently not the case with Vonage.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Martin E. Zulliger wrote:
>>
>>>Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
>>>sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
>>>Vonage?
>>>
>>>I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
>>>is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
>>>5060 each time you place a call.
>>>
>>>They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
>>>anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
>>>gateway.
>>>
>>>One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
>>>unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
>>>are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
>>>make it send something.
>>>
>>>I hope this is useful!
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Martin

cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com

Zeng,

I simply connected a hub between the router and the modem. This
configuration showed all the traffic - I don't believe that there's a
way to monitor a specific port. Within Ethereal, you can figure out
which packets belong to VOIP and then define a filter designed to keep
only those packets that are of interest to you.

Chris