Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Incoming calls during power/network outage?

Incoming calls during power/network outage?

NNTP

Fellow VOIPer's

Have any of you tested to see what happens to incoming calls when the power
or the net is down. I assumed during a power or network outage incoming
calls would roll-over to voice mail. When I powered down my modem and
dialed in from a POTS line, it resulted in a long period (~19 secs) of
dead-line, eventually followed by the 'all circuits' busy tone.

Below is a note to tech support and thier response. [They are not correct
about the 'busy signal' which is different then an the 'all circuits busy'
tone.]

If you haven't already tested it, give it a try and share the results with
the rest of us. As you can see below I'm using Sunrocket.

Thanks

Bob

Dear Sunrocket

I just powered down my modem and dialed in from a POTS line. It resulted in
a long period (~19 secs) of dead-line, eventually followed by the 'all
circuits' busy tone.

To me this is a big deal. I really expected to be collecting voice mail
during a network service outage. Remember once the network is down it's
too late enable the 'Do Not Disturb' feature.

Is there a fix for this? Do all VOIP products have this weakness?