Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Google and VoIP

Google and VoIP

Rick Merrill

News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP

- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp

Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?

see http://www.google.com/talk/

Jeremy

Rick Merrill wrote:
> News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP
>
> - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp
>
> Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?
>
> see http://www.google.com/talk/

Persons wanting a FULLY ENCRYPTED instant messenger, with both Voice and
Text, should check out http://www.bitwiseim.com/ The BitWise I/M does
not have any advertising, is secure, and is free for personal use. I
dumped my other I/M apps months ago, and have never looked back.

Just look at Google's Privacy Statement, as a comparison with BitWise:

"When you use Google Talk, we may record information about your usage of
Google Talk, such as when you use Google Talk, the size of your contact
list and the contacts you communicate with, and the frequency and size
of data transfers. Information displayed or clicked on in the Google
Talk interface (including UI elements, settings, and other information)
is also recorded."

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP
>
> - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp
>
> Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?
>
> see http://www.google.com/talk/

It looks like it isn't SIP at all, but some proprietary google-only
protocol. I don't think we can call their users from our sip phones.

Google is claiming that they will eventually offer some
interoperability with other providers, but it isn't clear if this
means they are going to field a protocol converter / gateway or of
they are going to abandon their homegrown protocol and move on to a
standards-based client.

Or in google's own words:

Your search - domain:google.com "google talk" sip - did not match
any documents.

-wolfgang
Microsoft Vista - because "Virus Installer" was too long.

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

This really is interesting. It will be fun to see how they manage this
with other projects. I'll be keeping with SunRocket but would
definitely like to see how this works.

Dmitri

Rick Merrill wrote:

> News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP
> - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp
> Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?
> see http://www.google.com/talk/

Check out what Google-crazy SEO crowd in alt.internet.search-engines
thinks about it:

http://www.1-script.com/forums/Googl...cle12227-1.htm

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD