Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > How to go about single Cisco IP phone on SOHO network

How to go about single Cisco IP phone on SOHO network

chris@pubshoe.com

Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with

Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away

Solution - VOIP

Here's the big question, current hardware is:

Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)

Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).

Do I need any other hardware?

Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
fixed IP address?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Chris,

You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone

However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
totally down the tubes.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Paul

Why would anyone want to use vonage? (yeah yeah I know there are people who
just want a working phone)
You have to pay extra for their softphone anyway.
Not to mention the total lack of flexibility with them.

"www.BradReese.Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Chris,
>
> You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:
>
> http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone
>
> However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
> totally down the tubes.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brad Reese
> BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts
> http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
> 1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
> Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
> USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680
> International: 828-277-7272
> United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Jonathan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with
>
> Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away
>
> Solution - VOIP
>
> Here's the big question, current hardware is:
>
> Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
> Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)
>
> Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
> calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).
>
> Do I need any other hardware?
>
> Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
> fixed IP address?

Make it easy.

Get VMWare and a copy of CallManager.

Install both.

Put IP communicator on your laptop.

Point it to a public IP for your CM.

Put a 7960 on your LAN

Call home like a crazy person.

(you will need to punch a couple of holes through your firewall TCP 1720,
2000, and UDP 16535 to 3276

Jonathan