Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP Account to Just Forward Calls

VOIP Account to Just Forward Calls

Dan Foxley

Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time) and
have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular #? My
intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular is
umlimited monthly and free incoming.

Thanks,
Dan Foxley

Henning Wangerin

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:48:52 -0700, Dan Foxley wrote:

> Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time)
> and have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular
> #?

Sure I'm doing just thak in our scout-group. We have a number of
voip-numbers to our key-persons, but none of them have voip-phones, so
calls are forwarded to their regular phones.

I'm located in Denmark, and using www.musimi.dk. I don't have any
expirience with non european providers.

> My intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular
> is umlimited monthly and free incoming.

I expect that you still have to pay the the forwarding fee. You might
also be able to get a flatrate Voip-account so that will be a fixed
account

But looking on the bare posibility to forward a call: It's no problem.

/Henning

Rick Merrill

Dan Foxley wrote:
> Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time) and
> have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular #? My
> intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular is
> umlimited monthly and free incoming.

One can port "existing home" phone to CallVantage, which then lets you
control forwarding to your "cellular" phone. However, you would then
have to pay the CallVantage bill as well as your cellular bill. Note
that CallVantage has unlimited long distance and unlimited local calls.

p.s. I do not work for CallVantage

Dan Foxley

I can get the phone company to give me dial tone & call forwarding for about
$15-20 US per month. I was hoping to get much cheaper by paying a VOIP
provider to "park" my home phone # and do Call Forwarding only to my Cell.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan Foxley

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dan Foxley wrote:
>> Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time)
>> and have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular
>> #? My intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the
>> cellular is umlimited monthly and free incoming.

> One can port "existing home" phone to CallVantage, which then lets you
> control forwarding to your "cellular" phone. However, you would then have
> to pay the CallVantage bill as well as your cellular bill. Note that
> CallVantage has unlimited long distance and unlimited local calls.
>
> p.s. I do not work for CallVantage

Wizzzer

Why not just port your home number to your cellphone and get rid of the
extra step? I have Packet8 ($19.95/mo., excellent). I have it transfer to
my cell if I don't answer after 6 rings. I really like the service and
enjoy all the extra services SBC was charging me for free, call forwarding,
caller ID, call waiting, caller ID blocking, 3 way, etc. I disconnected the
outside SBC connection and plugged the DTA into a socket and now use every
jack in the house with my existing phones, free anytime, anywhere for
$19.95. I found that I was using my Cingular cell so little, that I
cancelled it and got a pay as you go Tracfone. That was in Feb, I'm still
working on my free minutes, good thru Nov, by playing the specials and
referrals. Cheers, Wizzzer

"Dan Foxley" <danfatnospamnethere.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can get the phone company to give me dial tone & call forwarding for
>about $15-20 US per month. I was hoping to get much cheaper by paying a
>VOIP provider to "park" my home phone # and do Call Forwarding only to my
>Cell. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Foxley
>
> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dan Foxley wrote:
>>> Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time)
>>> and have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular
>>> #? My intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the
>>> cellular is umlimited monthly and free incoming.

>> One can port "existing home" phone to CallVantage, which then lets you
>> control forwarding to your "cellular" phone. However, you would then
>> have to pay the CallVantage bill as well as your cellular bill. Note that
>> CallVantage has unlimited long distance and unlimited local calls.
>>
>> p.s. I do not work for CallVantage

Kyler Laird

"Dan Foxley" <danfatnospamnethere.com> writes:

>Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time) and
>have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular #?

Yes. The latest VoIP provider I've used, Teliax,
http://teliax.com/
provides "follow me" service. You can set a PSTN number for it to call
along with a time to wait before invoking "follow me".

>My
>intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular is
>umlimited monthly and free incoming.

Good VoIP operators don't have local numbers here where our old home phone
is. I've been looking for a solution for a long time. I'm just using
regular call forwarding right now (to exercise the system, not to save any
money, although it does give me CallerID). I forward to a toll-free VoIP
account.

Eventually I might use remote call forwarding (RCF) to keep my number but
eliminate much of the monthly cost. RCF (here) is a bit cheaper than a
regular line and it also eliminates a bunch of the taxes/fees.

--kyler