Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Asterix with Lingo VOIP?

Asterix with Lingo VOIP?

Joe

I've looked through the posts at my ISP and don't see a FAQ for this
group. There must be other newbies who've asked the same sort of thing.

Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
incompatible with Asterix?

My house is wired with lots of Cat5E (two to each room) in a homerun
scheme from the office where the cable modem and firewall are. These are
all brand new lines completely distinct from the old POTS wiring. I'd
like to set one line for ethernet and the other for analog phone service
from Asterix if I can use it (Asterix) with a VOIP provider.

Thanks,

Joe

Miguel Cruz

Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
> in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
> I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
> their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
> incompatible with Asterix?

Sometimes you can get lousy results with multiple conversions between
digital and analog, especially when the phone call has been through a
high-compression codec like Lingo is likely to use. For instance, sometimes
I find that VoIP calls to/from digital cell phones are quite bad quality.

miguel

Joe

Miguel Cruz wrote:
> Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
>>in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
>>I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
>>their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
>>incompatible with Asterix?

> Sometimes you can get lousy results with multiple conversions between
> digital and analog, especially when the phone call has been through a
> high-compression codec like Lingo is likely to use. For instance, sometimes
> I find that VoIP calls to/from digital cell phones are quite bad quality.
>
> miguel

Is it possible to do anything to improve the quality? It's not like
boosting the signal on tv connections, but maybe there are different
algorithms that preserve higher quality? How much, if any, of that would
be under my control?

Thanks,

Joe

John R. Levine

>Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
>in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?

Vonage and Lingo both want you to use their own equipment. Some other
VoIP providers don't. Broadvoice specifically supports Asterisk and
provides config instructions, iconnecthere and voicepulse say it's OK.

/dev/null/

Alright, for the real question. Has anyone with Lingo service and the
D-Link ATA been able to unlock their unit? I've seen numerous postings
regarding unlocking the D-Link but I want to get some people's first
hand experience whether or not it can be done?

I see Fry's has them for 50 bux (not including rebate).

John S.

"/dev/null/" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Alright, for the real question. Has anyone with Lingo service and the
> D-Link ATA been able to unlock their unit? I've seen numerous postings
> regarding unlocking the D-Link but I want to get some people's first
> hand experience whether or not it can be done?
>
> I see Fry's has them for 50 bux (not including rebate).

Locked? What kind of lock? It has to be keyboard programable to set it up
for the service.

/dev/null/

Never mind. They work great once you unplug your network and
reconfigure/reflash the firmware. Only took 4 hours to get it to talk
to asterisk.