Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > voip from Bahrain

voip from Bahrain

Joop de Wit

I will be moving shortly to Bahrain (Middle East)

So I am looking for a VOIP system so I can call cheaply from Bahrain to
destinations like Australia and Europe. Not P2P but from PC to POTS.

Any recommendations on what the best provider is?

Joop

Christian Barmala

Hi Joop,

"Joop de Wit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I will be moving shortly to Bahrain, so I am looking for a VOIP system so
> I can call cheaply from Bahrain to destinations like Australia and Europe.

You will probably get internet and phone via Batelco. They have their own
VoIP solution, but it seems to be limited
http://www.batelco.com.bh/preview.as...leId=39&mnu=11 . I don't know
whether or not they prevent you from accessing other services outside of
Bahrain.

A well known international VoIP provider is Skype. Advantage: Their software
automatically configures itself to match even the weirdest network
configurations. Disadvantage: They use a proprietary protocol: Skyp service
(almost) only works with Skype software.

There are numerous providers who use the standard SIP-protocol and have
various billing options. The optimum depends on your needs. You may look
for:
- Are calls to customers of the same provider free?
- Do calls to customers of other providers go over the Internet and are free
or do they go over the landline and have to be paid? Does the provider
support ENUM or peering to reach these customers, does he block calls to and
from others or does he neither support nor block you?
- Does the provider charge a monthly base fee or just per minute?
- Do you get a personal dial in number?
- Do shared dial in numbers around the world exist where people from
Australia or Europe can dial in and just pay the national rate to reach you?

Christian Barmala

Joop de Wit

Christian Barmala wrote:
> Hi Joop,
>
> "Joop de Wit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I will be moving shortly to Bahrain, so I am looking for a VOIP system so
>>I can call cheaply from Bahrain to destinations like Australia and Europe.

> You will probably get internet and phone via Batelco. They have their own
> VoIP solution, but it seems to be limited
> http://www.batelco.com.bh/preview.as...leId=39&mnu=11 . I don't know
> whether or not they prevent you from accessing other services outside of
> Bahrain.
>
> A well known international VoIP provider is Skype. Advantage: Their software
> automatically configures itself to match even the weirdest network
> configurations. Disadvantage: They use a proprietary protocol: Skyp service
> (almost) only works with Skype software.
>
> There are numerous providers who use the standard SIP-protocol and have
> various billing options. The optimum depends on your needs. You may look
> for:
> - Are calls to customers of the same provider free?
> - Do calls to customers of other providers go over the Internet and are free
> or do they go over the landline and have to be paid? Does the provider
> support ENUM or peering to reach these customers, does he block calls to and
> from others or does he neither support nor block you?
> - Does the provider charge a monthly base fee or just per minute?
> - Do you get a personal dial in number?
> - Do shared dial in numbers around the world exist where people from
> Australia or Europe can dial in and just pay the national rate to reach you?
>
> Christian Barmala

Thanks for the info Christian.
Looking at their website, it they offer a calling card, but I do not see
anything for VOIP.
But I definitely need a foreign VOIP provider, as their international
rates are a joke: to call Australia will cost me 0.60 euro's per minute,
from Oz to Europe I pay 0.03 Euro/min: 1/20th of the price!

And their ADSL rates are 100 Euro's per month for 512 kbs download, I
pay here in France 30 Euro for 1.5 Mbs.
Oh the joy of state monopolies.

I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need.
My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for
VOIP as well as POTS.

Joop

Christian Barmala

"Joop de Wit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need.
> My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for VOIP
> as well as POTS.

If you need an ATA-box, you probably have to go for a SIP-compliant
provider.

See
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....20by%20Country
As a sample: http://sipphone.com/minutes/ or
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

Some ATA-boxes even allow for multiple providers simultaneously.

e164.org Support <(E-Mail Removed)> currently runs a test and offers (some)
free calls to Australia.

Christian

Joop de Wit

Christian Barmala wrote:
> "Joop de Wit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need.
>>My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for VOIP
>>as well as POTS.

> If you need an ATA-box, you probably have to go for a SIP-compliant
> provider.
>
> See
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....20by%20Country
> As a sample: http://sipphone.com/minutes/ or
> http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php
>
> Some ATA-boxes even allow for multiple providers simultaneously.
>
> e164.org Support <(E-Mail Removed)> currently runs a test and offers (some)
> free calls to Australia.
>
> Christian

Aliitle bit more research, and I think that I found it:
- Skype (+SkypeOut and SkypeIn)
- Telephone Olympia DualPhone. That one interfacers with Skype via USB
and also has a POTS connection.

Looks like a winning combination

Thanks for your help.

Joop

Christian Barmala

Hi,

"Joop de Wit" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Aliitle bit more research, and I think that I found it:
> - Skype (+SkypeOut and SkypeIn)

SkypeOut has an attractive per minute price, SkypeIn is payd per year.

> - Telephone Olympia DualPhone. That one interfacers with Skype via USB
> and also has a POTS connection.

Interesting. I didn't yet know about this hardware.

Christian

ubifone

Dear Joop,

Hi, how are you?
How are you doing over there?
Do you like the country? I hope that you like and absorb the culture.

If you kindly visit http://www.uninumber.ubifone.com/ you'll get all and
more than what you're looking for.

And in addition you can start the worldwide business from there.

Please do feel free to contact me at anytime for further information or
questions you may have at: uninumber.gmail.com

Wish you all the best.
Sam.

-------------------------------------
Joop de Wit wrote:

> I will be moving shortly to Bahrain (Middle East)

> So I am looking for a VOIP system so I can call cheaply from Bahrain to

> destinations like Australia and Europe. Not P2P but from PC to POTS.

> Any recommendations on what the best provider is?

> Joop

http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

ubifone

Dear Christian,

Hi, how are you?

With your permission, I would like to introduce you a new concept:
'One World, One Community, One Number'.

For details please visit : http://www.uninumber.ubifone.com/

Please do feel free to contact me on http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
or speak for free through the new system.
My Global Number is 97139713.

Kind Regards,

Sam.