Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > 911 over VOIP?

911 over VOIP?

tommynospam@yahoo.com

Does anyone have a voip company they could recommend that has true 911
service? I have Lingo now but their 911 is a joke. You have to call
911, give them your name and address because, although you enter your
emergency information when you sign up, it is not being propogated to
their 911 center.

thanks.

Stanley Reynolds

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Does anyone have a voip company they could recommend that has true 911
> service? I have Lingo now but their 911 is a joke. You have to call
> 911, give them your name and address because, although you enter your
> emergency information when you sign up, it is not being propogated to
> their 911 center.
>
> thanks.

Vontage has e911 in some markets like NY but I think all the US based
providers as well as the baby bells are under pressure by the FCC to provide
this service. I would wait before jumping to another provider. Read these
articles:

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php/94125

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...RSS,RSS,00.asp

Jeremy

"Stanley Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R6Uye.45622$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> Does anyone have a voip company they could recommend that has true 911
>> service? I have Lingo now but their 911 is a joke. You have to call
>> 911, give them your name and address because, although you enter your
>> emergency information when you sign up, it is not being propogated to
>> their 911 center.
>>
>> thanks.
>>

> Vontage has e911 in some markets like NY but I think all the US based
> providers as well as the baby bells are under pressure by the FCC to
> provide
> this service. I would wait before jumping to another provider. Read these
> articles:
>
> http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php/94125
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...RSS,RSS,00.asp

I believe that the FCC issued a ruling within the past few weeks giving VoIP
providers 120 days to implement 911 service. As I understand it, all US
VoIP carriers will be required to meet the FCC specifications. So this may
be a moot point in just a couple of months, irrespective of which provider
one selects.

Rick Merrill

> Does anyone have a voip company they could recommend that has true 911
> service? I have Lingo now but their 911 is a joke. You have to call
> 911, give them your name and address because, although you enter your
> emergency information when you sign up, it is not being propogated to
> their 911 center.
>
> thanks.

Even with the same company it is hard to be sure if they can do 911
and/or E911 ("enhanced" - which is really what you are talking about)
Also, it is area dependent, not just company dependent.

As far as I have heard NO VoIP company is certified E911 provider in any
area.

VoIP is similar to Cell Phones which call the PSAP and you have to tell
your location. In our area, only land lines are true E911. Cell phones
and VoIP goto the PSAP which is not the same as our emergency response
center (which services the E911).

Both cell phones and VoIP in the US will soon be required to provide
working 911.

Ivor Jones

Jeremy wrote:

[snip]

> I believe that the FCC issued a ruling within the past few weeks
> giving VoIP providers 120 days to implement 911 service. As I
> understand it, all US VoIP carriers will be required to meet the
> FCC specifications. So this may be a moot point in just a couple
> of months, irrespective of which provider one selects.

Only in the US. There are other places in the world, you know..!

Personally I would not rely on VoIP for emergency service. The traditional
landline is far safer at the moment.

Ivor

Jeremy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeremy wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I believe that the FCC issued a ruling within the past few weeks
>> giving VoIP providers 120 days to implement 911 service. As I
>> understand it, all US VoIP carriers will be required to meet the
>> FCC specifications. So this may be a moot point in just a couple
>> of months, irrespective of which provider one selects.

> Only in the US. There are other places in the world, you know..!

Re-read my post: "all US VoIP carriers will be required . . . " The OP
*was* discussing 911 service in the United States, was he not? What care I
about VoIP providers from Mongolia?

Ivor Jones

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeremy wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I believe that the FCC issued a ruling within the past few weeks
>>> giving VoIP providers 120 days to implement 911 service. As I
>>> understand it, all US VoIP carriers will be required to meet the
>>> FCC specifications. So this may be a moot point in just a couple
>>> of months, irrespective of which provider one selects.

>> Only in the US. There are other places in the world, you know..!
>>

> Re-read my post: "all US VoIP carriers will be required . . . " The OP
> *was* discussing 911 service in the United States, was he not? What
> care I about VoIP providers from Mongolia?

The OP never mentioned the US, just 911. That may be the code for
emergency services in Mongolia, for all I know.

Which you might care about should you ever need to go there. Unlikely,
maybe, but possible..!

Ivor

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

The entire VoIP industry is growing and learning how to cope on a
global scale. 911 issues will soon be resolved, one way or another b/c
service simply won't exist without it, as made clear by the FCC.

Mitel Lurker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>
(E-Mail Removed) writes:

>The entire VoIP industry is growing and learning how to cope on a
>global scale. 911 issues will soon be resolved, one way or another b/c
>service simply won't exist without it, as made clear by the FCC.

Issues will not be resolved without some sort of compromise or else some
sort of additional techknowlogy, i.e., GPS folded in with it. What you
must realize is that one of the promises of VOIP is a new degree of
mobility without the umbilical cord of a physical hardwired connection,
i.e., Wi-Fi.

VOIP is partly there with hardwired cat5/6 cable connections, but even so
when we permit people to move about willy-nilly, from jack to jack, within
a major office building, the 911 implications are significant. You either
have some way to track (and report) these moves or else you don't, and if
you don't you're setting yourself up to get bitten. When the emergency
crews show up in the lobby, you damn well better know where to send them
or else you're begging for a lawsuit.

The original VOIP systems designers were told that they were going to have
to address 911 at some point, but the manufacturers pooh-poo'd this,
assuming (wrongly) that pent-up market demand to finally make the break
from the dreaded moves and changes associated with legacy wiring closets
would override this. My goodness how terribly wrong they were. If Vonage
is any example, 911 has just bitten them in the ass so hard that they
haven't enough ass left to make a good sandwich.

Other vendors take heed. One way or another you -will- provide 911 (in the
USA at least) or the FCC will put you out of business.... and "E" 911 is
just around the corner (as far as being required).

Rick Merrill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Does anyone have a voip company they could recommend that has true 911
> service? I have Lingo now but their 911 is a joke. You have to call
> 911, give them your name and address because, although you enter your
> emergency information when you sign up, it is not being propogated to
> their 911 center.
>
> thanks.

With ATT Callvantage I have alternative E-911.

The "alternative" means that they do not supply power in case my local
power fails. ( I have a UPS to deal with that. )

It also means that if my high speed internet goees down there is no 911,
but we knew that!

Otherwise, my local dispatcher is called AND they are given my location!
( this is in Massachusetts )