Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > voip quetion

voip quetion

Evil Raphy

i had at one time vonage, but i was on cable,now i switch yo verizon DSL
and they are teling me that i cant have DSL stand alone,i have to get at
least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it
true?or do i have to goback to cable? and what about people that whant
to use cell insted of a land line?any comments please? thank's Raphy

Phil Thompson

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:42:16 GMT, Evil Raphy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>and what about people that whant
>to use cell insted of a land line?any comments please?

in many countries you can't get a landline without a basic telephone
service included. So having DSL necessitates having a landline
service.

You don't need to plug a telephone in or use it, but the cost may be
uncompetitive compared to cable.

A similar situation might arise if you didn't want a CableTV service
but wanted their high speed internet servcie.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

radar

Evil Raphy wrote:
> i had at one time vonage, but i was on cable,now i switch yo verizon DSL
> and they are teling me that i cant have DSL stand alone,i have to get at
> least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it
> true?or do i have to goback to cable? and what about people that whant
> to use cell insted of a land line?any comments please? thank's Raphy

you have to see if in your erea there is anyone who offers "naked DSL",
that is DSL on the wire without an active dialtone from your telco.

John S.

"Evil Raphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>i had at one time vonage, but i was on cable,now i switch yo verizon DSL
>and they are teling me that i cant have DSL stand alone,i have to get at
>least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it
>true?or do i have to goback to cable? and what about people that whant to
>use cell insted of a land line?any comments please? thank's Raphy

Here in the states, I don't know about other countries, DSL is a tarrifed
ADD ON to local phone service. So, yes you do have to have a local line in
addition to the DSL. No local line, nothing to ADD to.

Miguel Cruz

John S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here in the states, I don't know about other countries, DSL is a tarrifed
> ADD ON to local phone service. So, yes you do have to have a local line in
> addition to the DSL. No local line, nothing to ADD to.

You can get DSL without dialtone in plenty of places in the USA.

miguel

Kyler Laird

Evil Raphy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>i had at one time vonage, but i was on cable,now i switch yo verizon DSL
>and they are teling me that i cant have DSL stand alone,i have to get at
>least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it
>true?

I was told a long time ago that DSL would always require a POTS
line. It's a bunch of crap. Check out SpeakEasy.
http://speakeasy.net/
They have "OneLink" plans that don't require POTS. (I'm hoping
they'll come to my area!)

--kyler

Phil Thompson

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:17:02 GMT, Kyler Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I was told a long time ago that DSL would always require a POTS
>line. It's a bunch of crap. Check out SpeakEasy.
> http://speakeasy.net/
>They have "OneLink" plans that don't require POTS.

but it uses a phone line ! DSL always has a line, that's what the L
stands for.

It may not involve having a telephone service but it "connects into
your phone jack (Speakeasy pays the phone company for this)"

Artists !

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

I think this is an issue where you are going to get people arguing both
sides becuase there may not be full understanding of the technology or
abbreviations. I believe with DSL, you need a landline, but with
cable, you do not. I too though am not 100% sure about that.

wkearney99

> > Here in the states, I don't know about other countries, DSL is a
tarrifed
> > ADD ON to local phone service. So, yes you do have to have a local line

in
> > addition to the DSL. No local line, nothing to ADD to.

> You can get DSL without dialtone in plenty of places in the USA.

And usually at a higher price.

Miguel Cruz

Phil Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kyler Laird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was told a long time ago that DSL would always require a POTS
>> line. It's a bunch of crap. Check out SpeakEasy.
>> http://speakeasy.net/
>> They have "OneLink" plans that don't require POTS.

> but it uses a phone line ! DSL always has a line, that's what the L
> stands for.

Nope. POTS and DSL are both services that work across a pair of copper wires
(such as, but by no means restricted to, a "phone line"). You can have one
service or the other or both.

miguel