Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > About the Linksys "Vonage" 2-port Phone Adapter

About the Linksys "Vonage" 2-port Phone Adapter

hardly

> So, has anyone been able to find the jumpers on the PAP2 board?
> Thanks.

or is this a hoax?

John Nelson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > So, has anyone been able to find the jumpers on the PAP2 board?
> > Thanks.

> or is this a hoax?

I believe that someone is having you on.

The only way to "unlock" a PAP2 is to connect it to a network where you
control the DNS service, and trick the adapter into downloading a hacked
version of the configuration file, and then upgrading the firmware so it
doesn't keep trying to "phone home" for the locked-in configuration when
you place it on the live network.

No, I do NOT know how to do this, so please don't ask. If you want an
unlocked PAP2, buy a Sipura 2000. It is functionally identical to the
Linksys and isn't locked into Vonage, or whoever.

Phil Thompson

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:00:23 -0700, John Nelson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want an
>unlocked PAP2, buy a Sipura 2000.

or just buy a PAP2 from a retailer.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

/dev/null/

You mean PAP2-NA right?

John Nelson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:00:23 -0700, John Nelson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If you want an
> >unlocked PAP2, buy a Sipura 2000.

> or just buy a PAP2 from a retailer.

We assume you mena the unlocked PAP2-NA model...

Nope. Not from a reputable retailer, anyway. Under the Linksys terms,
the PAP2-NA can NOT be sold at retail, as is. It must be sold configured
to, and in conjunction with, the seller's VOIP service.

Martin²

John Nelson:
>We assume you mena the unlocked PAP2-NA model...
>Nope. Not from a reputable retailer, anyway.

Nonsense. Have look here:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/defa...pID=77&Alt=Yes
Regards,
Martin

John Nelson

In article <42e6d1ba$0$92979$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> John Nelson:
> >We assume you mena the unlocked PAP2-NA model...
> >Nope. Not from a reputable retailer, anyway.

> Nonsense. Have look here:
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/defa...pID=77&Alt=Yes
> Regards,
> Martin

Ahem....

"Model : PAP2-UK"

....not "PAP2-NA". I suspect that the UK model is simply an NA with the
appropriate impedance and other values set for the UK phone system.

So pardon my U.S.-centric gaffe. Obviously, Linksys's reseller
agreements are different in the U.K.