Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > About the Linksys "Vonage" 2-port Phone Adapter

About the Linksys "Vonage" 2-port Phone Adapter

Ramon F Herrera

I just purchased the Linksys Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for
Voice-over-IP.

I intend to try it with the Vonage service, but I'd like to use it with
my own Asterisk PBX as well.

I assume that this is not a Vonage-specific product.

Has anybody out there tried it? Any comments?

The manual is geared towards very naive users, and it doesn't tell me
how to access the phone from a SIP server ((E-Mail Removed)?), how
to register, etc.

Thanks for any tips and pointers...

-Ramon F Herrera

ps: the Model is PAP2.

Phil Thompson

On 3 Jul 2005 14:38:38 -0700, "Ramon F Herrera" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I assume that this is not a Vonage-specific product.

Google for PAP2-NA and see voxilla.com

It is available "unlocked" but you may find the web interface is
turned off or has an admin password in the Vonage implementation.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

John R. Levine

>I just purchased the Linksys Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for
>Voice-over-IP.

>I intend to try it with the Vonage service, but I'd like to use it with
>my own Asterisk PBX as well.
>
>I assume that this is not a Vonage-specific product.

You assume wrong. The box you bought is almost always sold at an
artifically low price, to be made up from the monthly fee you pay
whatever VoIP provider subsidized it, usually Vonage. It's similar to
the $30 cell phone that would cost $200 without a contract for a
year's cell service.

If you want to use Vonage for outside calls from Asterisk, I gather
that it's not hard to reverse engineer the second line softphone that
Vonage offers, but their hardware is rarely cracked.

R's,
John

Sekhar

Wow! I got it hardware reset

PAP2 is very similar to SPA 2000.

Sekhar.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"Sekhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Wow! I got it hardware reset
>
> PAP2 is very similar to SPA 2000.

Curious minds want to know, How did you get it to reset? is there a
clear-all jumper on the motherboard?

My first guess would have been that one needed to make a j-tag adaptor
and reset the predefined settings that way. I'll bet most items these
days can be reset / programmed this way.

-wolfgang

John S.

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<(E-Mail Removed) .wsrcc.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'll bet most items these days can be reset / programmed this way.

Usually with a reset button, accessed with a pencil tip or something. OR, if
you do have the IP address and the pasword, there usually is a factory reset
choice on the menus.

Phil Thompson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:39:14 GMT, "John S."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Usually with a reset button, accessed with a pencil tip or something. OR, if
>you do have the IP address and the pasword, there usually is a factory reset
>choice on the menus.

or type RESET on the phone keypad with the IVR menu.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Rick Merrill

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:39:14 GMT, "John S."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Usually with a reset button, accessed with a pencil tip or something. OR, if
>>you do have the IP address and the pasword, there usually is a factory reset
>>choice on the menus.

> or type RESET on the phone keypad with the IVR menu.
>
> Phil

Then hit the RETURN key.

John S.

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> or type RESET on the phone keypad with the IVR menu.
>>

> Then hit the RETURN key.

And on the telephone keypad, which key is that?

Sekhar

Neither does PAP2 allow you to do a hardware reset through a hidden
switch accessible to a pencil nor allow you to punch in FACTRESET from
your telephone pluged into it.

This is how I did a reset on my PAP2:
I opened the box to find a two pin jumper for three pins available on
the board. I kept the device ON, (I used NONSTATIC gloves) pluged off
the jumper from the second and the third pins and connected it to the
first and second pins. Then I punched in "****" and "FACTRESET" and
then "1" on the telephone connected to the PAP2. It announced that it
did RESET successfully. I then switched of the PAP2 and reverted the
jumper back to its second and third pin position and closed the box. I
had the PAP2 unlocked!

Goodluck!

Sekhar.