Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > US Robotics 005605 modem and VOIP

US Robotics 005605 modem and VOIP

colin@nomailspam.com

I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware flash
program for this model from the US Robotics support site.

http://www.usr.com/support/product-t....asp?prod=5605

The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
driver
but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't recognize
VOIP connections?

US Robotics tech support states the following:

"In Control Panel, double-click Modems and remove extra modem entries"

Does that also mean I should remove these options from the Advanced tab?

Microsoft H.323 TAPI Service Provider
Microsoft Multicast Conference TAPI Service Provider
NDIS Proxy TAPI Service Provider
TAPI Kernel-Mode Service Provider
Unimodem 5 Service Provider

I'm going to try using the serial cable now. If anyone has experience
with VOIP and analog modems, please contribute!

Martin²

1. The Sipura 2000 is NOT a modem, its ATA (analog telephone adapter) which
needs to be plugged into ethernet port of a router.

2. You wont be able to get VoIp working on a dial up 56k connection, it's
not fast enough on the upload leg. I believe it's possible to set your modem
for equal speed both ways in which case you may be able to use softphone
(e.g. Xten Lite).
Regards,
Martin

Ivor Jones

> I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
> The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
> Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
> flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
>
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-t....asp?prod=5605
>
> The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
> driver
> but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
> The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
> recognize VOIP connections?

You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.

Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.

BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.

Ivor

Randy Mass

Ivor Jones wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
>>The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
>>Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
>>flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
>>
>>http://www.usr.com/support/product-t....asp?prod=5605
>>
>>The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
>>driver
>>but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
>>The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
>>recognize VOIP connections?

> You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
> bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.
>
> Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
> proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.
>
> BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.
>
> Ivor

I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP
connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet access.

Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs that
provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP is
probably not going to work very well.

Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure you
get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's not a
modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.

If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.

If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.

If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem between
your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).

Randy

Jeremy

"Randy Mass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
>>>The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
>>>Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
>>>flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
>>>
>>>http://www.usr.com/support/product-t....asp?prod=5605
>>>
>>>The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
>>>driver
>>>but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
>>>The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
>>>recognize VOIP connections?

>> You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
>> bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.
>>
>> Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
>> proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.
>>
>> BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.
>>
>> Ivor

> I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP
> connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet access.
>
> Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs that
> provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP is
> probably not going to work very well.
>
> Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure you
> get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's not a
> modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.
>
> If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.
>
> If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.
>
> If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem between
> your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).
>
> Randy

I have had much better results by configuring my modem as a Class 2, rather
than the default Class 1, when faxing on VoIP.

The Class 2 protocol does not spend nearly as much time "training" during
each fax. It also hangs up faster after the fax has been transmitted. It
also does not utilize error correction, and that saves time.

Class 1 also has the nasty habit of slowing down as multiple pages are
transmitted. It might start out at 14,400 for the first page, then drop to
9600 on the second page, 7200 on the third page, and 4800 on all the
subsequent pages. I have experienced much less of that when transmitting in
Class 2 mode.

Not all modems support Class 2, but if yours does, by all means try it. You
may find that it significantly reduces transmission time.

colin@nomailspam.com

Thanks for the responses.

First of all, I don't have a problem getting a dial tone with my HP All-
in One printer/scanner/fax unit, only the US Robotics External 005605
seems to have a problem with a dial tone. Perhaps it's a driver problem,
since the OS does recognize that the modem is connected to a serial port
when I have it connected with the serial cable, and in USB mode when it's
connected to the USB port.

There's also the possibility that something must be re-configured within
the Sipura 2000 setup - or the US Robotics modem may simply be broken,
since the HP all-in-one received the dial tone upon initial power-on
testing.

Faxing shouldn't be a problem if I reduce the baud rate with my software.
The HP doesn't allow for that, though and that's why I'm trying to get
the US Robotics external configured.

Perhaps it's time to just shell out $7 for one of these internal's:

http://www.pricewatch.com/prc.aspx?i=42&a=271987

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Jksqe.723$fa3.689@trndny01:

> Subject: Re: US Robotics 005605 modem and VOIP
> From: "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.modems
>

> "Randy Mass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ivor Jones wrote:

>>> You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
>>> bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.
>>>
>>> Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
>>> proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.
>>>
>>> BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.
>>>
>>> Ivor

>> I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP
>> connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet
>> access.
>>
>> Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs
>> that provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP
>> is probably not going to work very well.
>>
>> Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure
>> you get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's
>> not a modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.
>>
>> If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.
>>
>> If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.
>>
>> If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem
>> between your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).
>>
>> Randy

> I have had much better results by configuring my modem as a Class 2,
> rather than the default Class 1, when faxing on VoIP.
>
> The Class 2 protocol does not spend nearly as much time "training"
> during each fax. It also hangs up faster after the fax has been
> transmitted. It also does not utilize error correction, and that
> saves time.
>
> Class 1 also has the nasty habit of slowing down as multiple pages are
> transmitted. It might start out at 14,400 for the first page, then
> drop to 9600 on the second page, 7200 on the third page, and 4800 on
> all the subsequent pages. I have experienced much less of that when
> transmitting in Class 2 mode.
>
> Not all modems support Class 2, but if yours does, by all means try
> it. You may find that it significantly reduces transmission time.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
>> The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
>> Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
>> flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
>>
>> http://www.usr.com/support/product-t....asp?prod=5605
>>
>> The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
>> driver
>> but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
>> The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
>> recognize VOIP connections?

> You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
> bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.

*WRONG*. The Macintosh software "PGPphone" was doing this years ago. Human
speech really doesn't need to bandwidth many people it requires. Several
stupidities of most modern fancy-digital-phone-systems conspire to heavily
degrade the signal, such as the use of automatic gain controls, trying too
hard to keep the signal from clipping, trying to spend all your cycles
processing and analyzing and digitally throbbing the prostate of the signal
in order to try to get it to be more comprehensible by whatever cockeyed
scheme your particular intern thought of, etc., etc.

If you throw out almost all the digital analysis and present just a few bits
of signal, *at the zero crossings* instead of smoothed and merged and FFT'ed
into powerbands and with all the speech timing thrown out, you actually get
a quite intelligible signal.