Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > I'm looking at AT&T CallAvantage, any pro or con's with them?

I'm looking at AT&T CallAvantage, any pro or con's with them?

jt

Hi,

I'm looking at getting AT&T CallAvantage, business package. Would like to
hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.

Thank you,
jt

Garry W

"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm looking at getting AT&T CallAvantage, business package. Would like to
>hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.

When I tested them their voice quality and voice quickness (delay time) were
superior to everyone else I tried (Vonage, Lingo, and Packet8.)

However, they mis-designed a couple of the software features that I needed.

The mis-design I can remember now is their "locate me" feature (simultaneous
call-forward). When it's in effect, a call will ring through, you answer, but
then their software insists on slowly playing a recording asking you to push
a button to actually speak to the party who's trying to get through to you.

The extra button is a hassle (especially while driving), the tape cannot be
pre-empted, and by the time you can persuade the software that it's OK to let
you speak to the caller, the person has often hung up. Also, the recording
prevents you from putting your own answering machine on the line (answering
machine can't "push the button.") When I called them, they explained that
that was the whole purpose of the exercise: to prevent your answering machine
from "accidentally" picking up.

(I needed to put my own answering machine on the line because their voicemail
service is lame in some way that I don't remember now. Maybe Callvantage was
the odd duck where you could pick up your voicemail either by phone or by
email, like usual -- but you had to choose in advance; you couldn't have it
both ways.)

Hope this helps a little.

Garry

Rick Merrill

CallVantage service is terrific. They did have trouble porting my home
phone number, but it is now working perfectly.

Their message recordings are great because you can retrieve messages
from any of your home phones, via web, and/or via email and messages are
not lost if there is a power failure in your house.

Their speed dial is great: you can speed dial from any of your phones
and if you lose power you don't loose the speed dial programing!

The installation is easy for DIY and the AT cost is reimbursed.

Rick
Merrill

Rick Merrill

Garry W wrote:
> "jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at getting AT&T CallAvantage, business package. Would like to
>>hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.

> When I tested them their voice quality and voice quickness (delay time) were
> superior to everyone else I tried (Vonage, Lingo, and Packet8.)

I agree: voice quality is excellent. The QoS (quality of service) over
broadband is unimpeachable. ( You just have to be sure to RTM and put
Modem<==>TA(telephoneadapter)<==>router<==>compute r )

jt

Thanks for al that replied. I really appreciate your input.
jt

"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:knYme.88074$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at getting AT&T CallAvantage, business package. Would like to
> hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.
>
> Thank you,
> jt

Rick Merrill

jt wrote:

> Thanks for al that replied. I really appreciate your input.
> jt

Did'ja compile a summary?-)

jt

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> jt wrote:
>
>> Thanks for al that replied. I really appreciate your input.
>> jt
>>

> Did'ja compile a summary?-)

Nope. Just read you all's review.