Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > no more cheap VoIP?

no more cheap VoIP?

Rick Merrill

Dvorak: The Coming Death of Cheap VoIP
"VoIP is a great boon for anyone who wants affordable local and
long-distance calling, and the future is bright and . . . Wait. We hear
some grumbling in the distance. It's columnist John C. Dvorak telling us
to wake up to the fact that the big telcos will soon control VoIP, so it
will end up costing far more than it does now. Sound crazy? It won't
after you read Dvorak's latest column."

I hope not! - RM

p.s. the article covers Canada too.

Garry W

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Dvorak: The Coming Death of Cheap VoIP
>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1812887,00.asp

Guy sounds like a nutball.

Dvorak says "Anyone who attempts to put a server on a home DSL line soon
finds the phone companies pinging it to determine the use, and then
disconnecting it or warning the customer."

We've had servers on home DSL lines since the day they were invented. Have
Dvorak's disconnects happened yet? In the real world, I see the opposite.
See, for example, www.macnewsworld.com/story/31236.html, where SBC is
=defending= their customers who run file-sharing servers.

I think port-blocking is an urban myth.

Many ISPs did block port 80 for a while in 2002, because of the "Code Red"
virus. They got roasted for it and, as far as I can tell, they stopped. There
are =very= few current confirmed reports of port-blocking to be found on the
net.

Mostly what I see is just people telling the same stories to each other over
and over again, about how "many ISPs" or "most cable companies" are blocking
ports. Then other people repeat the story.

As to VoIP specifically --

A web search reveals that one ISP once tried to block Vonage. See
www.cybertelecom.org/voip/blocking.htm. The ISP in question was
instantaneously shot down by the feds -- fined and ordered never to do it
again.

FCC press release at
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-257175A1.pdf

Port-blocking is an urban myth.

VoIP blocking is not something I would lose sleep over.

And Dvorak's a crankball.

yours,
Garry

Miguel Cruz

Garry W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think port-blocking is an urban myth.
>
> Many ISPs did block port 80 for a while in 2002, because of the "Code Red"
> virus. They got roasted for it and, as far as I can tell, they stopped. There
> are =very= few current confirmed reports of port-blocking to be found on the
> net.

Verizon (at in least former Bell Atlantic territory) definitely blocks port
80 on their DSL and has for years. But I agree with your general point that
ISPs can't be bothered to micromanage what their customers are up to.

miguel

Garry W

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
>Garry W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I think port-blocking is an urban myth.
>>
>> Many ISPs did block port 80 for a while in 2002, because of the "Code Red"
>> virus. They got roasted for it and, as far as I can tell, they stopped. There
>> are =very= few current confirmed reports of port-blocking to be found on the
>> net.

>Verizon (at in least former Bell Atlantic territory) definitely blocks port
>80 on their DSL and has for years.

Looking in the last year and a half of Google/news messages, I'm unable to
find anyone who's actually tried port 80 on Verizon and found it blocked in
that time. While I did see several reports from people who actually tried it
and found it not to be blocked in their neighborhoods.

The only actually-tried-it reports of Verizon blocking that I can find, in a
brief search, all date from 2002.

Have you given Verizon/port-80 a try lately? I'd be interested in the result.
Maybe I'm shooting my mouth off.

Garry

Miguel Cruz

You'll find much more discussion on www.dslreports.com than in usenet.

> While I did see several reports from people who actually tried it and
> found it not to be blocked in their neighborhoods.

They were probably not in Bell Atlantic territory, then.

> Have you given Verizon/port-80 a try lately? I'd be interested in the result.

I can't try directly, because I moved away from DC (where I was a Verizon
customer) in mid-2004. But the day I left it was still blocked on my DSL
service.

However, the reports at dslreports.com continue. Here's one from a week ago:

miguel

John Nelson

says...
> Dvorak: The Coming Death of Cheap VoIP
> "VoIP is a great boon for anyone who wants affordable local and
> long-distance calling, and the future is bright and . . . Wait. We hear
> some grumbling in the distance. It's columnist John C. Dvorak telling us
> to wake up to the fact that the big telcos will soon control VoIP, so it
> will end up costing far more than it does now. Sound crazy? It won't
> after you read Dvorak's latest column."

I like John and I respect his opinions, usually. But let us not forget,
this is the same guy that predicted "The Great Internet Collapse" in
2001. He gets it wrong, from time to time. Like this one.

He is clearly laboring under some incorrect assumptions. For example, he
states that DSL providers prohibit the installation of servers on the
DSL connection. He then notes that this same draconian stance will be
applied to VOIP users. In fact, many DSL providers don't care if run
servers on your connection, and at least one, Speakeasy, actively
promotes this use.

The telcos are whistling in the dark as they watch the legacy PSTN get
relegated to insignificance. It may take years, but voice communication
is moving to IP networks and the means for operating a packet-switched
voice network is within reach of anyone with a DSL connection and a copy
of Asterisk. If all of my friends/customers/whatevers can reach me via
FWD, or my own IP phone network, what do I need QWest for?