Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > When You Dial 911, Can Help Find You?

When You Dial 911, Can Help Find You?

Jer

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Jer wrote:

>>>I dial "0" from cell phones regularly for call assistance. I am
>>>clueless about VoIP phones.
>>>

>>VoIP phones have NO "opearator" to call. (You get a recording.)

> On Sipgate you don't get anything. Here in the UK the number for the
> operator is 100 not 0 - all phone numbers start with 0 so dialling 0 means
> the system is just waiting for the rest of the number. Sipgate uses 10000
> for a test number so dialling 100 won't get you anywhere either..!
>
> Ivor

Why wouldn't dialing 100 get me anywhere? Don't they do interdigit
timing like all the telcos do?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Ivor Jones

"Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

>> On Sipgate you don't get anything. Here in the UK the number for the
>> operator is 100 not 0 - all phone numbers start with 0 so dialling 0
>> means the system is just waiting for the rest of the number. Sipgate
>> uses 10000 for a test number so dialling 100 won't get you anywhere
>> either..!
>>
>> Ivor

> Why wouldn't dialing 100 get me anywhere? Don't they do interdigit
> timing like all the telcos do?

Possibly, if anything was allocated to 100, but it isn't..!

Ivor

David L

Infone is great!
I highly recommend Infone. It's more like a concierge service with all
the extras they provide and cheaper than VZW's pathetic info service,
that has failed me a couple of times, when I needed it most. Wrong
number and couldn't find the right city

The Infone operater will stick with you until every lookup possibilty
is exhausted.

They also give directions and a bunch of other included services.
They spend, IIRC, up to 15 minutes helping to find the correct
number/info.

The only hassle is setting up credit card billing, since they operate
outside your carrier's billing system. But it's worth the one time
setup inconvenience. They use to offer 5 free lookups. I got 10 but
that's no longer available.

Ther's also an Infone 800 CS number that doesn't cost if you need to
work out a billing problem.

-
David

Earl F. Parrish

"Carey Gregory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm also now wondering who's going to take the hit for hotels when
>>tenant plugs their internet phone into the wall jack. The
>>hi-speed
>>internet service at some hotels requires the tenant to
>>occasionally
>>re-certify their in-room internet service via an auth code
>>provided by
>>the front desk when necessary. And it's not always free.

> So what? The technical issues of mapping a hotel connection to
> the hotel
> and room number are trivial compared to, say, determining a cell
> phone's
> location. Internet cafes, libraries, and all sorts of public
> access points
> will have the same issue. I guess they'll either have to figure
> it out or
> quit providing VoIP to those locations.
>
> VoIP providers got into the business of providing public telephone
> service,
> but they didn't bother providing the whole package and you see the
> results.
> It's easy to undercut the other guys when you're allowed to skip
> the hard
> parts. Well, now they can't, and it's about time. All the FCC is
> saying is
> they have to quit being half-baked telephone companies and become
> real ones.

Don't you think that if someone keeled over in a library, a regular
landline will be available? When you are in a public place, you do
not have the only telephone around. If I have an emergency in a
hotel, I am going to use the house phone even if it costs $5.00 to
make a call.

--
Earl F. Parrish