Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Any free VoIP internet-phone calling left ?

Any free VoIP internet-phone calling left ?

suburbperson@hotmail.com

I'd like to know if there are any free Voice Over IP (VoIP) services
left whatsoever. even if they're limited to USA-to-USA long distance
calling.

I got broadband for the first time in early 2002, in Feb or March (I
had DirecTV DSL) and soon after, I discovered Net2Phone -- which at
the time, was offering totally free USA-to-USA calling from the
internet to any phone, for 5 minutes at a time. later that year, they
changed it to 2 min at a time (which made it very limiting), and
shortly after that, all free service from Net2Phone was gone.

I also learned of DialPad during that time, but by the time I learned
of DialPad, they were not offering anything free.

In retrospect it seems that I discovered free VoIP /
internet-to-telephone calling, at the tail end of its existance. I
completely missed out on DialPad's totally free long distance calling
(I even heard that it used to be free world-wide calling, was that
true?)

I have not looked around very hard the last year or so for any free
services that might have popped up. there probably are none, but just
maybe ?

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

>I have not looked around very hard the last year or so for any free
>services that might have popped up. there probably are none, but just
>maybe ?

www.skype.com

suburbperson@hotmail.com

I have skype and yes that is free for PC-to-PC calling, like many other
(lower quality) services.

what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling.

Just Plain Insane

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I have skype and yes that is free for PC-to-PC calling, like many other
> (lower quality) services.
>
> what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling.

Vonage is about the closestthat's what I'm using now as a landline.

John R. Levine

>what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling.

I'd be surprised if you could find anything. Sending calls to the
phone network costs real money, and the dot.com free money bubble
is long over.

There's plenty of services that will do outgoing calls pretty cheap,
like 2 cpm. Skypeout is an obvious choice, although I've had voice
quality problems with them.

If you plan to make a whole lot of calls, one of the flat rate plans
from a VoIP carrier like Broadvoice or Packet8 would probably be your
best bet.

R's,
John

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling

Well, since telephone companies charge just over a penny a minute for accepting
calls from other telephone companies (including internet ones), you are unlikely
to find a free service that stays free very long.

Dmitri

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'd like to know if there are any free Voice Over IP (VoIP) services
> left whatsoever. even if they're limited to USA-to-USA long distance
> calling.

I can imagine there might still be a few (privately supported) gateways
that let you get out into a particular area code/zone, but I seriously
doubt there will be a service that lets you get out anywhere you want.

> I have not looked around very hard the last year or so for any free
> services that might have popped up. there probably are none, but just
> maybe ?

Well, with telecommunications industry trying to re-invent itself as a
PROFITABLE line of business, you might expect any FREE service to shut
down rather than pop-up
I would suggest that you get one of those $9.99 plans that most every VoIP
provider sells and then upgrade if you chronically go over your 300
minutes.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.telecom.tech,alt.internet.free-services,alt.consumers.free-stuff - messages and counting

David Lesher

Are there any Skype-ish services that offer DTMF out? We have people
try and call us, but they then can not get intact DTMF tones to our
PBX to reach anyone.

--
A host is a host from coast to (E-Mail Removed)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

David Lesher <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Are there any Skype-ish services that offer DTMF out? We have people
> try and call us, but they then can not get intact DTMF tones to our
> PBX to reach anyone.

The few voip services I tried all allowed DTMF out, but it often took
a bit of playing around to see which of the inband/as-rtp/as-sip
methods they allowed. Ideally, they'd accept all three but I've seen
quite a few voip "service providers" that ran some pretty lame
voip/pstn gatewaying software. In cases like that one is forced to
generate the audio for the DTMF oneself and send it inband. Given
what most codecs do to that signal one will probably have to select
straight "ulaw" encoding so that the other side can get a good enough
rendition of the signal to decode the DTMF.

Might that be your customer's problem, that they are sending DTMF
inband, but selecting some fairly aggressive codec?

If you have a few days to play, you might just want to set up your own
voip gateway and allow folks to connect directly. A slowly growing
set of universities are connecting their PBX to a small voip gateway
and allowing incoming calls over voip.

http://mit.edu/sip/sip.edu/
http://www.internet2.edu/sip.edu/

-wolfgang