Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VoIP provider with dial in number in the US w/o monthly fee

VoIP provider with dial in number in the US w/o monthly fee

Christian Barmala

Hi,

you can open an account and get a German dial in number at
http://www.sipgate.de/ for free. The dial out fees in this case aren't too
attractive, but you can upgrade to an account with monthly fee and very
attractive per minute rates.

I'm looking for a similar provider in the US, but it seems that everyone
charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in number. Same is true for
"Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
one-time setup fee.

Christian

Pepperoni

"Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5o54s$giv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> you can open an account and get a German dial in number at
> http://www.sipgate.de/ for free. The dial out fees in this case aren't too
> attractive, but you can upgrade to an account with monthly fee and very
> attractive per minute rates.
>
> I'm looking for a similar provider in the US, but it seems that everyone
> charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in number. Same is true for
> "Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
> one-time setup fee.
>
> Christian

http://www.sipphone.com/

Ivor Jones

"Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5o54s$giv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> you can open an account and get a German dial in number at
> http://www.sipgate.de/ for free. The dial out fees in this case aren't
> too attractive, but you can upgrade to an account with monthly fee and
> very attractive per minute rates.
>
> I'm looking for a similar provider in the US, but it seems that everyone
> charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in number. Same is true for
> "Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
> one-time setup fee.
>
> Christian

You can get a free US number from www.ipkall.com that can be routed to
most SIP systems, I have one that routes to my UK Sipgate account
(www.sipgate.co.uk)

This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

Ivor

Christian Barmala

"Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in
>> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?

> http://www.sipphone.com/

http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone numbers
that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive calls
from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"

I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.

Christian

Pepperoni

"Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5offk$2ug$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in
> >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?

> > http://www.sipphone.com/

> http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone numbers
> that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive calls
> from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"
>
> I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.
>
> Christian

Check out http://www.glophone.com/
their premium plans give you a number reachable from PSTN. The number will
be 4 digits longer than traditional, but quite functional. (if you use your
PC for VOIP) I believe there is a setup fee, then your paid minutes are
good for <I think> 2 years, and are refillable.

If you use a hardware solution, we will need to keep looking.

Enzo Michelangeli

"Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5offk$2ug$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Christian Barmala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial

in
> >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?

> > http://www.sipphone.com/

> http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone

numbers
> that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive

calls
> from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"
>
> I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.

www.ipkall.com can forward PSTN calls to just any provider in the world
(either free or not). But the number can be cancelled if it's not used for
more than one month.

Enzo

wkearney99

> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
> code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
> it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at
least some sort of fee.

Pepperoni

"wkearney99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
> > code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
> > it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

> What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at
> least some sort of fee.

There are services available to access SIP numbers through PSTN.

For example. Sipphone has an agreement with PointOne for this service:
http://sipphone.com/access/
"This is the latest list we've gotten our hands on of free PSTN to SIP
access numbers. Dial the number, and listen to the prompt. Enter 1 for
SIPphone. Next, when asked for your IM id, enter the SIPphone number you
wish to call."

Other numbers are available from Telesthetic

Pepperoni

Ivor Jones

"wkearney99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
>> code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
>> it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

> What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without
> at
> least some sort of fee.

No catch that I have yet found. Only drawback for some might be the area
code 360 (Washington State) but if that doesn't bother you it works fine.
They do reserve the right to withdraw the number if it isn't used in any
30 day period but I've not had that happen yet.

Ivor

Christian Barmala

Hi,

"wkearney99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at least some sort of
> fee.

I knew someone would object this. That's why I mentioned the free personal
dial-in number from sipgate.de in my initial posting.

"Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There are services available to access SIP numbers through PSTN.

Not exactly what I initially wanted, but a very interesting alternative.

> For example.
> http://sipphone.com/access/
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Telesthetic

Does someone know other, international access numbers?

Christian