Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Converting cell-phone headset to computer headset

Converting cell-phone headset to computer headset

logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com

There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's
more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and
stereo-mono stuff, but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use
my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?

If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!

Please, no options that involve soldering!

THanks,

gordon

Rick Merrill

logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com wrote:

> There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's
> more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and
> stereo-mono stuff, but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use
> my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?
>
> If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!
>
> Please, no options that involve soldering!
>
> THanks,
>
> gordon

Have you tried a plug converter from Radio Shack?

logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com

Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

It DEFINITELY does not work.

It has something to do with the tip configuration on the cell-phone
handset.

So a simple plug convert to a 2-line out to the mic and speaker jacs is
a no-go should have made that clearer in original post.

This has been discussed on the net but the solutions all involve
soldering and resistors and so forth. Was hoping someone sold a box ...

Laurence Payne

On 6 May 2005 10:52:39 -0700, "logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's
>more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and
>stereo-mono stuff, but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use
>my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?
>
>If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!
>
>Please, no options that involve soldering!

For goodness' sake! What does a computer headset of comparable (low)
quality cost? Would anyone be able to market an adaptor box for that
price?

B.M. Wright

In comp.dcom.voice-over-ip logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's
> more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and
> stereo-mono stuff, but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use
> my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?

> If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!

> Please, no options that involve soldering!

Traveling with one of those lame call center looking headsets in
your laptop bag isn't cool and you'll have a hard time picking up any
chicks at the airport/internet cafe with that on. I've only found
one place that sells something reasonable, haven't bought one yet myself,
but will before I travel next time, basically it's a mobile phone style
headset but with PC style connection jacks:

http://www.babble.net/portal/store/store.php

They're in the UK but the total shipped to the us is ?4.95,
which is about $9.00, not bad. You can forget about the part for "VAT"
because if you live outside of the UK they won't charge it and I doubt
the US customs henchmen will add any import tax at that low of a value.

If you do buy one I'm curious how long the lead is. The person
who responded at babble.net when I asked apparently doesn't speak
english well enough to understand: "How long is the cord on your
babble-bud headset shown in your web store?".

Heimo Hetl

get a bluetooth headset. supposed both your mobile and notebook and mobile
have bluetooth interfaces, you're set.

cheers
heimo

--
l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com

This doesn't seem to be such an outrageous idea - maybe I've posted to
the wrong group(s). The multimedia headsets are huge. I have to carry
my cell headset either way.

The bluetooth idea below sounds like a good idea - for someone whose
laptop has bluetooth ...

There MUST be someone out there who has sorted this out.

Richard Crowley

logisticky wrote ...
> This doesn't seem to be such an outrageous idea - maybe I've posted to
> the wrong group(s). The multimedia headsets are huge. I have to
> carry
> my cell headset either way.
>
> The bluetooth idea below sounds like a good idea - for someone whose
> laptop has bluetooth ...
>
> There MUST be someone out there who has sorted this out.

Sure we have. But we know how to use a soldering iron
and you have precluded that solution. You could try one of
the computer sound card newsgroups.

Heimo Hetl

logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com wrote:

> The bluetooth idea below sounds like a good idea - for someone whose
> laptop has bluetooth ...

I've seen some cheapo "universal-fit" cellphone earplugs that come with a
plug adaptor for different brands of mobiles. Maybe you can use one of
those if you leave out the adaptor?

cheers
Heimo

--
l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Tomi Holger Engdahl

"logisticky@nospam_yahoo.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's
> more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and
> stereo-mono stuff,

There are different hands free units with different specifications.
I have monstly played myself with hands free units made for Nokia
cellular phones. At those hands free units, the headphone part
is 32 ohm spaker element similar to ones used on normal headphones.
This can be directly wired to line/headphone out of the soundcard
directly. Because there is only one speaker, you cna wire it
directly to only one audio channel (left or right).
The microphone in the hands free unit is pretty normal
electrt capsule that can be wired directly to PC soundcard
microphone input (signal wire to tip and ring of 3.5 mm plug,
ground to connector ground).

Maybe some day I have time to add some building details to
www.epanorama.net project pages...

> but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use
> my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?

I don't kknow any such box. The reason why such box does not exist
is that there are so many different cell phone hands free units
that use different connectors and have different technical
specifications... Different hands free units would need different
conversion box.

> If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!
> Please, no options that involve soldering!

I do not have any ready to build device to recommendation.
Biltema (http://www.biltema.fi/) sells one unit "MULTIMEDIAHUBI"
that is designed for controlling audio volume to speakers,
switching between headset and spakers etc..
Details at
http://www.biltema.fi/osteri/osteri....tm&tuote=23265
That unit has a 2.5 mm jack which according the manual / print
on the case would be for interfacing hands free unit...
Good idea. THe sad fact is that it does seem to work
with any hands-free unit or similar... I have tried
several different models for this.

Soldering has never been a problem for me...
And I have made this king of interfacing from component
when Ihav had need for it.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/