Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Softphone supporting g723

Softphone supporting g723

anandsekar@gmail.com

Hi All,

Is there a softphone that supports the g723 codec
or the g729 codec. The Xten phone does not seem
to support it.

thanks
anand

Pepperoni

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a softphone that supports the g723 codec
> or the g729 codec. The Xten phone does not seem
> to support it.
>
> thanks
> anand

I believe that the paid version of XTen uses 729 (and 723) but is no longer
sold.

SJlabs softphone supports 729.
http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

g723.1 codec
http://www.adoreinfotech.com/softphone.html

anandsekar@gmail.com

I was looking at the adoreinfotech's softphone, however no where on
their site they mention the cost of it.

Has anybody used their phone ?

anandsekar@gmail.com

Is is possible to use adoreinfotechs softphone with a sipphone account
or a fwd account ?

Pepperoni

It only supports SIP. SIP minutes are available from numerous sources. One
good site which I sometimes use is
http://www.sipphone.com
Configuration help is in the forums.

You will need minutes for use calling PSTN lines. Sipphone acts as your
gateway and service provider.

If you use FWD, why not use SJPhone? They have a ready-made FWD profile
that will make configuration simple. I use SJPhone with my Vonage
account---- no problems, whatsoever. Registration is *FREE*. A screenshot
of the Vonaage skin is here:
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/vonagesjphone.jpg
I don't know what the FWD skin looks like; the stock skin looks quite plain,
but the software functions well.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is is possible to use adoreinfotechs softphone with a sipphone account
> or a fwd account ?

anandsekar@gmail.com

SJPhone which i dowloaded from FWD does not have the option of changing
codecs, I think 729 is only available in the paid version. I think I
have just two options to purchase xten or sjphone. The reason I want
729 or 723 is because I want to use this softphone over a dialup
connection. Any idea how g729 performs over a dialup connection ?

thanks
anand

Pepperoni

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> SJPhone which i dowloaded from FWD does not have the option of changing
> codecs, I think 729 is only available in the paid version. I think I
> have just two options to purchase xten or sjphone. The reason I want
> 729 or 723 is because I want to use this softphone over a dialup
> connection. Any idea how g729 performs over a dialup connection ?
>
> thanks
> anand

I have no experience with SIP over dialup. I do feel that voice quality is
generally better with the SJ product than using XTen.

The quality of a dialup connection can vary widely. I would suggest that
you test voip over dialup to see if it is even workable.

anandsekar@gmail.com

Thanks a lot ! Would try some tests