Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > basic question

basic question

Paul

Hi I am thinking of obtaining a Vigor2100vg to connect to NTL cable
I understand it has a voip / sip port , so a normal phone plugs in,
( so can be online with computer off)

the normal phone only has a number pad, so how does one call a sip
address in user http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) format?

am I missing a fundamental?

any other comments on the router would be welcome

Ivor Jones

Paul wrote:
> Hi I am thinking of obtaining a Vigor2100vg to connect to NTL cable
> I understand it has a voip / sip port , so a normal phone plugs in,
> ( so can be online with computer off)
>
> the normal phone only has a number pad, so how does one call a sip
> address in user (E-Mail Removed) format?
>
> am I missing a fundamental?

Yes. You call a SIP number by the number if it is on the same network as
you, or with the relevant access code if it is on another VoIP network.

For example one of my Sipgate numbers is in the form 314xxxx - from
Sipgate you would dial just that. From another VoIP supplier with a link
agreement to Sipgate, such as Gradwell, you would dial the relevant access
code (***777 in this instance) followed by the SIP number.

From a normal phone line you would dial the full geographic number. This
particular number has a Birmingham 0121 prefix so you would dial 0121 314
xxxx.

> any other comments on the router would be welcome

I don't know it but I'm sure someone will be along shortly..!

Ivor

Martin²

Draytek Vigor routers are recognised for quality and reliability, but as
they are 'office class' kit they aren't cheap.
Mine hasn't missed a bit in 2 years.
Regards,
Martin