Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Connecting VoIP to Home Phone Wiring

Connecting VoIP to Home Phone Wiring

BrianEWilliams

I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

David Floyd

In message of Thu, 21 Apr 2005, BrianEWilliams writes
>I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
>service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
>it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
>router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
>this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

Would it be a good idea to say which country you're in, then you might
get the correct answer.

I suspect you're in Wales, but you could be in Australia for all we
know, and POTS systems in different countries vary.

DF

Rick Merrill

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

First, run a single phone off the TA until it's working.

Then, to "turn off POTS" make sure your wires are ALL disconnected
and you have TAGGED the lines to make sure nobody reconnects them!

Then connect the TA to your in-house phones and add one phone at a
time to make sure they all ring as you add each one.

BrianEWilliams

My mistake. I am in the US using a Linksys router and Vonage service.
The router is model number RT31P2-VD. The REN for this router is 5.

BrianEWilliams

Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.

burris

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
> substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
> given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
> optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.

Or....

Get a phone system with one "base station" and x number of satellite
phones. This way you only plug the base station into the VOIP adapter
and all the other satellites only into an ac power plug., The prices
have gone way down on these systems.

As a security blanket, if you have a UPS and think that your broadband
will remain up during a power outage, you can plug a regular corded
phone into a two line splitter at the VOIP adapter as well and keep the
adapter on the UPS..

Rick Merrill

BrianEWilliams wrote:

> Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
> substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
> given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
> optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.

TA or ATA for Telephone Adapter or Analog TA converts POTS lines to
ethernet which then goes to cable modem.

modem<==>TA<==>router...

This allows the TA to throttle back the router info to preserve
Quality Of Service (QoS) for the phone connection.

ivscorp

BrianEWilliams Wrote:
> I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in m
> says
> this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

Unplug the line coming from old provider at DEMARC--run line t
telephone jack for ATA router (phone plug on adapter) all phones o
house wiring will have dial tone. Step by step instructions availabl
at vonage web sit

--
ivscorp

Marc H.Popek

COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2

Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

OR

How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
into a single handset?

OR

USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
well!

OR

see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in a
telco call???

THEN...........................................

Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
home office or for the family.

Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
Protecting your equipment.

Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
local line, hands free!.

SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
to household power supplies"

Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
with Combine-A-Line.

USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION

WOW FREE SHIPPING!

Add a second CLT to your auction win for only 13.99.

Reduced shipping on second unit... only $2.42 ... wow reduced shipping

Link to instructional video
http://vincent.lemoine1.free.fr/tel2...%20for%20windo
ws%20media.wmv

Answers from previous customers:

A: this unit has many uses. it can combine two analog (regular plain Jane
telephone lines) into a common point. This allows you to create a dual line
telephone suite(telephone, answering. modem) etc for way less than the cost
of a two line phone and two line answering machines and modems don't
commonly exist. Further, VOIP has become very popular and users gain
tremendous long distance rates rates, however they don't have a "local
presence" and often back up the voip with a single plain Jane telephone
line. the clt will join voip and telco to a signal automatic port for the
ultimate convience! Plus no power supply or batteries to clutter your
desktop! Plus all port surge protected to protect you equipment! plus two
additional universal (I/O) line 1 and line 2 dedicated ports... enabling an
even wider array of connection schemes.

A: S&H outside CONUSA (48 USA states) costs more. The tariff diferene
varies based on exact location. The range is about $1.00 to Canda and
Mexico, and Hawaii. And is $3.00 to most of EU and Middle eastern locations.

A: In coming activity is automatically routed to the auto output port.

A: Out bound activity is automatic. Users can mnaully re-direct any cal and
visually confirm which line is in use by observing the LED indication.

A: The unit can be wired into a single telephone jack with the lines (four
wire connectors) OR there are two additonal , inversal jacks that enable
physical connnections to different phone access port. For example line 1 on
a VOIP modem and line2 to your local Telco jack. The CLT can join any two
lines and provide a single convient access point.

A: The CLT does not require batteries or wall power supplies.

"BrianEWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

BrianEWilliams

Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
$10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
service.