Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VoIP newbie seeks advice!

VoIP newbie seeks advice!

Adam

Hello,

I've just bought a Sipura SPA 3000 after having a play around with XLite and
being quite happy with VoIP (using 1899.com).

However, when I make a call over VoIP, the person I'm calling can hear me,
but I can't hear them.

From looking around the web, it sounds like this is a common problem when a
hardware VoIP device is behind an NAT (as mine is). However, I haven't
really found a solution in works of one syllable! (I really am very new at
this whole VoIP thing).

My internet connection is via a cable modem (2Mb down, 512Kb up), and the
cable modem is plugged into a Linksys BEFSR41 router. My SPA 3000 is
plugged into one of the ports on this router.

I've heard that a STUN server should be able to get around NAT problems, but
although I've set a STUN server in the SPA config, I still get the same
problem.

My router supports uPnP, which, again, I understand should make things
easier! (I also know very little about uPnP I'm afraid!).

I get the same problem with a couple of different SIPs I've tried.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I correct in thinking it's a NAT problem?
Is it worth me putting the SPA in the DMZ and see if that works? Otherwise,
do I need to forward any ports to the SPA? (although I thought STUN and/or
uPnP got around this problem!).

Help!

A.

Kyler Laird

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>However, when I make a call over VoIP, the person I'm calling can hear me,
>but I can't hear them.

>From looking around the web, it sounds like this is a common problem when a
>hardware VoIP device is behind an NAT (as mine is). However, I haven't
>really found a solution in works of one syllable! (I really am very new at
>this whole VoIP thing).

I've set "Insert VIA rport" and "Send Resp To Src Port" to "yes" (SIP -> NAT
Support Parameters). That's gotten it working through NAT for me.

--kyler

Ivor Jones

Adam wrote:

[snip]

> I've heard that a STUN server should be able to get around NAT
> problems, but although I've set a STUN server in the SPA config, I
> still get the same problem.

What port have you set for the STUN server..?

> My router supports uPnP, which, again, I understand should make
> things easier! (I also know very little about uPnP I'm afraid!).

Same here, but my router doesn't support it so can't say..!

> I get the same problem with a couple of different SIPs I've tried.

SIPs..?

> Does anyone have any ideas? Am I correct in thinking it's a NAT
> problem? Is it worth me putting the SPA in the DMZ and see if that
> works? Otherwise, do I need to forward any ports to the SPA?
> (although I thought STUN and/or uPnP got around this problem!).

Yes, try it, definitely. My SPA-2000 seems to require this on Sipgate.
*In addition* try forwarding ports 5004-5005, 5060-5061, 8000-8019 plus
whatever port the STUN server wants. Default is 3478 although Sipgate uses
10000.

Ivor