Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > I picked Packet8

I picked Packet8

John Harper

I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered a
local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area toll
free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
($39.95/month).

I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on March
8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8, 2005.
The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet when my SBC
service was terminated.

So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call forwarding,
Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
hanging up the phone.

Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
hearing aids and voice quality is important.

So far, so good. Time will tell..

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

John Harper wrote:
> I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
> local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
> ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered

> local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area

toll
> free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
> ($39.95/month).
>
> I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
> application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on

March
> 8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
> on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8,

2005.
> The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet when my

SBC
> service was terminated.
>
> So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call

forwarding,
> Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
> available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
> hanging up the phone.
>
> Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
> hearing aids and voice quality is important.
>
> So far, so good. Time will tell..

Just out of curiosity, did you look into whether SunRocket was
available in your area?

Wiz-z-z

I have good things to say about Packet8 as well. I think the porting
process could be faster, but since SBC was involved I can understand them
dragging their feet when losing a customer. The quality of service is much
better than we had previously with SBC land line or with Cingular cell
phones. We discontinued both SBC and Cingular and have gone to Tracfone
(pay as you go) for emergencies and traveling. It was a monthly savings of
$75 for us. I bought a new Vtech 5.8 Mhz cordless expandable phone system
to take advantage of all of the new free bells and whistles and it gets
along famously with my wireless computer network. We're very happy
campers.

Steven M. Santinelli

The only problem I had with packet8 was that I had to dial my area code to
call anyone in my area. So, I immediately dumped them and kept Vonage.
Really ****ed me off to, because it didn't say anything about that anywhere
on the site.

I considered broadvoice, because I really just need local, but I don't trust
them to not have that feature now. I sent mail asking, and never got a
response.

"John Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
> local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
> ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered a
> local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area toll
> free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
> ($39.95/month).
>
> I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
> application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on March
> 8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
> on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8, 2005.
> The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet when my SBC
> service was terminated.
>
> So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call forwarding,
> Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
> available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
> hanging up the phone.
>
> Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
> hearing aids and voice quality is important.
>
> So far, so good. Time will tell..

RE:I picked Packet8 nntp-unhacker@socal.rr.com VOIP 0 09-07-2005 05:04 AM
Packet8 DTA-310 clicking noise & flashing link light Jason Spilde VOIP 1 07-31-2003 03:07 AM
Re: Why is everyone down on Packet8? Rovilio Rangas VOIP 0 07-14-2003 03:33 AM
packet8 down Paul T Wang VOIP 2 07-07-2003 01:17 AM
Re: Why is everyone down on Packet8? Kyler Laird VOIP 1 06-29-2003 01:55 PM

Advertisments