Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Corded Phones Work; Cordless Do Not

Corded Phones Work; Cordless Do Not

Johnny Meredith

I just wired up my Vonage service. I'm using the house's existing
wiring to spread the signal from my voice router. The phones in
the house that are not cordless work, but the cordless phones do
not. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this?

I've used wireless internet for a while in the house, so I know
there can't be any conflict in the signals. The internet works
perfectly, and so do the corded phones. I'm using two Linksys
routers: the one provided by Vonage and a Linksys WRT54G down-
stream from this router to serve the wireless signal for my lap-
top.

TIA,
Johnny

Rick Merrill

Johnny Meredith wrote:

> I just wired up my Vonage service. I'm using the house's existing
> wiring to spread the signal from my voice router. The phones in
> the house that are not cordless work, but the cordless phones do
> not. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this?

Do you mean no dialtone or do you mean no ring?

> I've used wireless internet for a while in the house, so I know
> there can't be any conflict in the signals. The internet works
> perfectly, and so do the corded phones. I'm using two Linksys
> routers: the one provided by Vonage and a Linksys WRT54G down-
> stream from this router to serve the wireless signal for my lap-
> top.

Sounds like your wiring is correct: modem<=>Vonage<=>Linksys--laptop
\-phones

Did any cordless phones get power via the rj11 connection? (rare)

Suggestion: disconnect all but one phone at a time. Which phones work?

oparr@hotmail.com

>> Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this?

If you only have one Vonage line then you are limited to VOIP port 1 on
the VOIP router. Perhaps you were connecting your cordless base unit(s)
to VOIP port 2 instead of 1.

Johnny Meredith wrote:
> I just wired up my Vonage service. I'm using the house's existing
> wiring to spread the signal from my voice router. The phones in
> the house that are not cordless work, but the cordless phones do
> not. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this?
>
> I've used wireless internet for a while in the house, so I know
> there can't be any conflict in the signals. The internet works
> perfectly, and so do the corded phones. I'm using two Linksys
> routers: the one provided by Vonage and a Linksys WRT54G down-
> stream from this router to serve the wireless signal for my lap-
> top.
>
> TIA,
> Johnny

Johnny Meredith

Finally solved this problem.

It turns out that my house has two lines wired instead of just one. By
shear coincidence, all the cordless phones were pluged in to the line 2
and all the corded phones were plugged into line 1.

I was not aware of the two lines. So, when I disconneted my house from
the phone company, I just wired back line 1 and didn't bother with 2 or
3. The solution was to wire all the "left" sides of the twisted pairs
together and all of the "right" sides together which, of course,
completed the circuit and fixed the problem.

Just for reference:
Phone line color decode
Red, Green - Line1
Yellow, Black - Line 2
Blue, White - Line 3

I wired RED YELLOW and BLUE together on one side and GREEN BLACK and
WHITE together on the other side.

I hope this post helps someone in the future!

Johnny

Rick Merrill

Johnny Meredith wrote:
> Finally solved this problem.
>
> It turns out that my house has two lines wired instead of just one. By
> shear coincidence, all the cordless phones were pluged in to the line 2
> and all the corded phones were plugged into line 1.
>
> I was not aware of the two lines. So, when I disconneted my house from
> the phone company, I just wired back line 1 and didn't bother with 2 or
> 3. The solution was to wire all the "left" sides of the twisted pairs
> together and all of the "right" sides together which, of course,
> completed the circuit and fixed the problem.
>
> Just for reference:
> Phone line color decode
> Red, Green - Line1
> Yellow, Black - Line 2
> Blue, White - Line 3
>
> I wired RED YELLOW and BLUE together on one side and GREEN BLACK and
> WHITE together on the other side.
>
> I hope this post helps someone in the future!
>
> Johnny

Glad to hear it. That could become a classic phone-war-story!