Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > FoIP through Lingo

FoIP through Lingo

James Calivar

"DanG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Another case can be made, too. Just because the user of an IP network
> has access doesn't mean the recipient does, which is my case. Several
> of the people to whom I need to send/receive documents do not even have
> email.
>
> I'm still not sure if I ever got an answer, though. Lingo says they
> support FoIP, but not T.38. If T.37 (store and forward) works, will a
> fax machine (rather than a PC) do that (as Lingo said it would), or
> does it require other hardware/software? Or is Lingo not exactly
> telling the truth about their ability to support FoIP?
>
> Dan

I have limited exposure to T.37 (store and forward), so I can't really
answer to that question. I guess what happens is that you negotiate in
realtime with a fax-like entity running on the media gateway that your cable
box is sent to, and that later your fax is then sent along to another media
gateway which then negotiates with the fax machine you're sending to. Sort
of like fax by proxy, with two actual fax calls being placed (one between
sending fax machine and gateway 1, the ohter between gateway 2 and receiving
fax machine) - rather than one call between the two fax machines.

Try to nail them down on what they mean by "FoIP". This typcailly means
"fax relay" in the business, not just fax over G.711 (which is usually
called "fax passthrough"). There are other flavors of fax relay that are
not IP-specific - there is fax over AAL2 (for ATM Links), FRF.11 (for frame
relay links, largely obsoloete) and other proprietary methods. However,
what I believe that they're doing is blowing smoke up your rear end. I bet
they just sense the tones on the line that are unique to fax, and switch
your call over from a voice-specific codec (like G.729ab) to G.711. If this
is the case, as I've said before, there is no reason you should not be ablt
to use your PC w/ modem at 14400bps speed - unless their network sucks.

Ask them this specifically: "Does your fax solution implement true fax relay
(FoP), or is it simply fax passthrough, with G.711 carrying the fax
traffic?"

James

DanG

Okay, I talked to Lingo again. No new information, though. The techie
just reiterated (in more detail) what they said before: you have to use
a fax machine (not a PC) with a 14400 modem, and they don't support
T.38.

I asked about fax relay and fax passthru, and was told that they can do
either. I asked if I need to do anything to tell the fax machine which
protocol to use, and the techie said no.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a machine.

James Calivar

"DanG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Okay, I talked to Lingo again. No new information, though. The techie
> just reiterated (in more detail) what they said before: you have to use
> a fax machine (not a PC) with a 14400 modem, and they don't support
> T.38.
>
> I asked about fax relay and fax passthru, and was told that they can do
> either. I asked if I need to do anything to tell the fax machine which
> protocol to use, and the techie said no.
>
> I'll have to see if I can borrow a machine.

Yes, see if you can borrow a fax machine. I cannot for the life of me
figure out why a "real" fax machine would work when a PC-based fax modem
would not, though. They are functionally identical.

When the tech says that "they can do either" fax relay or fax passthrough -
but they DON'T support T.38 - then unless they're using a proprietary fax
relay solution I haven't to foggiest notion of what he is talking about. On
IP networks, today's fax relay is T.38. Older gateway solutions (for
example, some Cisco boxes) fielded proprieteary fax relay software, but that
requires having an identical box on both ends, which cannot be guaranteed.
I think the techie is misinformed, and it sounds as if they are all just
trained to parrot back the same lines to customers.

let's hear what happens with the "real" fax machine.

James

DanG

Sorry. No news yet. I thought I'd borrow a machine from the office
across the street from me, but apparently they only have a huge floor
model. They suggested that I buy one, then return it th next day, but
not fair to the store. I even thought I could rent one for a day, but
can't find any place that rents computer equipment around here.

The saga continues...

Re: FoIP functionality on FritzBox 7170 Philippe Deleye UK VOIP 2 09-04-2008 06:47 AM
FoIP from soft phone hawat.thufir@gmail.com VOIP 3 12-02-2005 08:54 PM
Vulnerability fo FoIP (T.38) Mr. T VOIP 0 11-01-2005 09:08 PM
FOIP Software Dan UK VOIP 8 06-25-2005 09:10 AM
FOIP? Ben Clay UK VOIP 4 06-21-2005 11:33 AM

Advertisments