Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Mixing different manufacturers IP phones on a Mitel VOIP network

Mixing different manufacturers IP phones on a Mitel VOIP network

hal@nospam.com

I am going to be implementing a Mitel 3300 switch, and am looking into
IP phones. Our vendor is telling us we can't use anything but Mitel,
but I thought protocols were standardized so any IP phones would work.
Is this not correct?

thanks,

Hal

Rick Merrill

> I am going to be implementing a Mitel 3300 switch, and am looking into
> IP phones. Our vendor is telling us we can't use anything but Mitel,
> but I thought protocols were standardized so any IP phones would work.
> Is this not correct?
>
> thanks,
>

> Hal

IP "phones" are really built in ATA (analogue telephone adapters), and
different systems use different protocols. Of course they want to sell
you their brand of h/w, but if you ever want to dial someone who does
NOT have an IP phone, you'll have to use your vendor's systems.

Anon-E-Moose

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am going to be implementing a Mitel 3300 switch, and am looking into
> IP phones. Our vendor is telling us we can't use anything but Mitel,
> but I thought protocols were standardized so any IP phones would work.
> Is this not correct?

Nope, VoIP is a generic term to mean that voice data is sent over an IP
network. There are several propreitary VoIP protocols. If you want an open
standard, ensure that your system supports SIP. SIP protocol is supported
by most Internet VoIP systems.

Andreas Sikkema

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:13:55 +0000, Anon-E-Moose wrote:

> Nope, VoIP is a generic term to mean that voice data is sent over an IP
> network. There are several propreitary VoIP protocols. If you want an open
> standard, ensure that your system supports SIP. SIP protocol is supported
> by most Internet VoIP systems.

Or H.323

--
Andreas Sikkema

Ian

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I am going to be implementing a Mitel 3300 switch, and am looking into
> > IP phones. Our vendor is telling us we can't use anything but Mitel,
> > but I thought protocols were standardized so any IP phones would work.
> > Is this not correct?
> >
> > thanks,
> >

> > Hal

> IP "phones" are really built in ATA (analogue telephone adapters),

!!!!!!!!!!!! No they are not............. They are Digital phones that
use an IP protocol n the case of Mitel sets its Minet.
> and
> different systems use different protocols. Of course they want to sell
> you their brand of h/w, but if you ever want to dial someone who does
> NOT have an IP phone, you'll have to use your vendor's systems.

WHAT!!!!

Rick Merrill

Ian wrote:

> Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>I am going to be implementing a Mitel 3300 switch, and am looking into
>>>IP phones. Our vendor is telling us we can't use anything but Mitel,
>>>but I thought protocols were standardized so any IP phones would work.
>>>Is this not correct?
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>

>>>Hal

>>IP "phones" are really built in ATA (analogue telephone adapters),

> !!!!!!!!!!!! No they are not............. They are Digital phones that
> use an IP protocol n the case of Mitel sets its Minet.

You are defining it in a equivalent way: An ATA just runs a analog to
digital conversion for analog phones. Your "digital" phones convert
analog voice directly to digital. six of one, half a dozen of the other,
or whatever makes you happy.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> You are defining it in a equivalent way: An ATA just runs a analog to
> digital conversion for analog phones. Your "digital" phones convert
> analog voice directly to digital. six of one, half a dozen of the
> other, or whatever makes you happy.

There is a very important difference. ATA's use ratty old 4-wire to
2-wire hybrids which mix the incoming and outgoing signals together.
The phone then uses another hybrid to un-mix those two signals. The
result is two echo-inducing, frequency response limiting hybrids in
your talk path.

A real voip phone has no such nonsense. In fact some of them (at
least the ones that do g.722-wideband) probably even have earphones
and mouthpieces rated to twice the normal phone frequency response.
There is a noticeable improvement in the sound quality. Of course, it
is only usable when talking between two phones that can do similar
wideband speech.

-wolfgang

Mark Evans

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > I am going to be implementing a Mitel 3300 switch, and am looking into
> > IP phones. Our vendor is telling us we can't use anything but Mitel,
> > but I thought protocols were standardized so any IP phones would work.
> > Is this not correct?
> >
> > thanks,
> >

> > Hal

> IP "phones" are really built in ATA (analogue telephone adapters), and

No, an ATA, is a specific device to connect a POTS telephone (more
likely a fax machine/modem/coin operated phone/etc) to a VOIP network.

> different systems use different protocols. Of course they want to sell

All that is required is that the phone and PBX understand the same
protocol. Which is only likely to be the case if the latter only
speaks some proprietary protocol.

> you their brand of h/w, but if you ever want to dial someone who does
> NOT have an IP phone, you'll have to use your vendor's systems.

Either the phone will work or it won't. Connecting to a non IP phone
involves a PSTN interconnect somewhere. But that could be anywhere
on the planet.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE Aided School