Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Do VoIP providers lock you in to using only their h/w?

Do VoIP providers lock you in to using only their h/w?

alf

Sorry for if this sounds naive, but can anyone tell me if it's
possible to use e.g. a Vonage phone adapter, or a third-party SIP
phone, with a connection from say, Packet8 etc.. In other words, do
the service providers tie you in to using their own equipment? Surely
if they all use the SIP protocol, then it shouldn't matter what
equpment you use, so long as it talks SIP?????

Thanks,

Al

T. Sean Weintz

alf wrote:
> Sorry for if this sounds naive, but can anyone tell me if it's
> possible to use e.g. a Vonage phone adapter, or a third-party SIP
> phone, with a connection from say, Packet8 etc.. In other words, do
> the service providers tie you in to using their own equipment? Surely
> if they all use the SIP protocol, then it shouldn't matter what
> equpment you use, so long as it talks SIP?????
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

Depends. If you buy a sip ATA from vonage, they lock it with a password
so you cannot reconfigure it and use with another service.

However if you buy your own sip hardware from an electronics reseller,
most providors will be more than happy to let you use it with their service.

John R. Levine

Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service.
Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone
as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the
parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.

Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
to Asterisk PBXes.

Vox Humana

"John R. Levine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1vf70$91n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service.
> Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone
> as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the
> parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.
>
> Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
> support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
> to Asterisk PBXes.

Teliax is another exception. You can use a softphone, your own hardware, or
you can get hardware for them. They sell the Linksys PAP2-NA (and the
version with a router) that are not unlocked. They also will work with you
in the configuration of you asterisk hardware and so on.

Kyler Laird

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John R. Levine) writes:

>Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
>support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
>to Asterisk PBXes.

I've used Broadvoice, Gafachi, VoicePulse, and LiveVoIP with my own
equipment.
http://voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Servi...rs+Residential
I highly recommend using a provider who won't try to lock down your
use. The flexibility is worthwhile.

--kyler

Miguel Cruz

Kyler Laird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've used Broadvoice, Gafachi, VoicePulse, and LiveVoIP with my own
> equipment.

Does LiveVoIP support rfc2833 touch-tone delivery (outbound)?

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Palestine

Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:epH0e.10434$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John R. Levine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d1vf70$91n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service.
> > Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone
> > as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the
> > parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.
> >
> > Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
> > support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
> > to Asterisk PBXes.

> Teliax is another exception. You can use a softphone, your own hardware,

or
> you can get hardware for them. They sell the Linksys PAP2-NA (and the
> version with a router) that are not unlocked. They also will work with

you
> in the configuration of you asterisk hardware and so on.

I ment to say that they sell "unlocked" equipment.

Kyler Laird

(E-Mail Removed) (Miguel Cruz) writes:

>Does LiveVoIP support rfc2833 touch-tone delivery (outbound)?

I use LiveVoIP for all of my outgoing calls from home these days and
I do call services which require DTMF sometimes. This is all over
IAX2.

I thought I learned that IAX only supports out-of-band signalling.
That would be RFC2833, right?

I'll be happy to run some tests.

--kyler