Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP w/Distinctive Ring?

VOIP w/Distinctive Ring?

Al Franz

Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

Rick Merrill

Al Franz wrote:
> Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

I think "additional users" on ATT CallVantage can have
distinctive ring. (This is a shared single line, not a 2nd line)
There is an additional fee too.

John R. Levine

>Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

Lingo does, standard feature.

Ivor Jones

Al Franz wrote:
> Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

Depends on the equipment you're using. My Sipura SPA-2000 ATA has a choice
of 8 different ring cadences. The Grandstream ATA-486 is limited to the US
single ring style.

Ivor

Al Franz

Guess I don't understand how the equipment on my end will help. Doesn't the
provider have to support some type of distinctive ringing so that you can
have multiple phone numbers on 1 line.

Ideally what I would like is to have several phone numbers coming into 1
line and be able to detect which number is being called prior to answering
the phone. Can this be done with VOIP currently or possibly in the near
future.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Al Franz wrote:
>> Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

> Depends on the equipment you're using. My Sipura SPA-2000 ATA has a choice
> of 8 different ring cadences. The Grandstream ATA-486 is limited to the US
> single ring style.
>
> Ivor

Vox Humana

"Al Franz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Guess I don't understand how the equipment on my end will help. Doesn't

the
> provider have to support some type of distinctive ringing so that you can
> have multiple phone numbers on 1 line.
>
> Ideally what I would like is to have several phone numbers coming into 1
> line and be able to detect which number is being called prior to answering
> the phone. Can this be done with VOIP currently or possibly in the near
> future.

I think there are two different kinds of "distinctive ring" being discussed.
You are talking about something that would be implemented by the provider.
You would have several DIDs, each directed to one line and each assigned a
distinctive ring by the provider. Equipment like the Linksys PAP2/Sipura
SPA2000 have a native feature called "distinctive ring." This is implemented
on the user's end. There is a table where you assign a distinctive ring
(from a list of to a set of up to 8 incoming numbers. For instance if
your mother call you from 555-1111 you can assign that to ring #1 and if
your brother calls from 555-2222, you can assign that call to ring #2, and
so on. The ATA simply looks at the CID information and if it matches a
number on the list, the ring cadence assigned to the number is used.

For example of how "distinctive ring" are configured on the Siprua 2000,
take a look here:
http://www.sipura.com/support/

Ivor Jones

Al Franz wrote:
> Guess I don't understand how the equipment on my end will help. Doesn't
> the provider have to support some type of distinctive
> ringing so that you can have multiple phone numbers on 1 line.

What do you mean multiple phone numbers on one "line" - do you mean one
account, one broadband connection, what..?

The ringing cadence to the phone, assuming you're using an analogue phone
plugged into an ATA, is generated by that ATA, not the provider. Some are
user-programmable in this respect, some are not.

> Ideally what I would like is to have several phone numbers coming
> into 1 line and be able to detect which number is being called
> prior to answering the phone. Can this be done with VOIP currently
> or possibly in the near future.

Not into one line, at least not as far as I know. I have two phones on two
different accounts operating through the same ATA with a different ringing
cadence for each one.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

Vox Humana wrote:
> "Al Franz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Guess I don't understand how the equipment on my end will help.
>> Doesn't the provider have to support some type of distinctive
>> ringing so that you can have multiple phone numbers on 1 line.
>>
>> Ideally what I would like is to have several phone numbers coming
>> into 1 line and be able to detect which number is being called
>> prior to answering the phone. Can this be done with VOIP
>> currently or possibly in the near future.
>>

> I think there are two different kinds of "distinctive ring" being
> discussed. You are talking about something that would be
> implemented by the provider. You would have several DIDs, each
> directed to one line and each assigned a distinctive ring by the
> provider. Equipment like the Linksys PAP2/Sipura SPA2000 have a
> native feature called "distinctive ring." This is implemented on
> the user's end. There is a table where you assign a distinctive
> ring (from a list of to a set of up to 8 incoming numbers. For
> instance if your mother call you from 555-1111 you can assign that
> to ring #1 and if your brother calls from 555-2222, you can assign
> that call to ring #2, and so on. The ATA simply looks at the CID
> information and if it matches a number on the list, the ring
> cadence assigned to the number is used.
>
> For example of how "distinctive ring" are configured on the Siprua
> 2000, take a look here:
> http://www.sipura.com/support/

Not only that, but you can assign a default ring to both line 1 and line 2
so even if you don't set a ring for a particular number as you describe,
you can still set the line to ring in a particuar way as a default.

Ivor

Miguel Cruz

Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Al Franz wrote:
>> Ideally what I would like is to have several phone numbers coming
>> into 1 line and be able to detect which number is being called
>> prior to answering the phone. Can this be done with VOIP currently
>> or possibly in the near future.

> Not into one line, at least not as far as I know.

The Cisco ATA-186 supports selectable ring cadences, so you'd just need the
selection to be indicated in the call setup. Whether any commercial VoIP
providers do this, I don't know, but if you roll your own, you sure can.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Palestine

David Floyd

In message of Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Ivor Jones writes
>Al Franz wrote:
>> Guess I don't understand how the equipment on my end will help. Doesn't
>> the provider have to support some type of distinctive
>> ringing so that you can have multiple phone numbers on 1 line.

>What do you mean multiple phone numbers on one "line" -

I guess he means something similar to BT's CallSign in the UK.

David