Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > 3Com NBX v5000 Vs. NEC Elite IPK

3Com NBX v5000 Vs. NEC Elite IPK

Peter Parker

Hello all,

I've been researching a replacement for the company PBX phone system (an
old Norstar system). I've come down to two choices. The 3Com NBX v5000
(SuperStacker) and the NEC Elite IPK. I'm leaning towards the 3com, but
I have a vendor that is particularly stubborn and keeps insisting the
NEC is the better system for our needs. We currently have 80 phones and
will be deploying that many with the new system. We have one location,
but often have remote jobsite trailers that could take advantage of VoIP
benefits. Future growth should be covered by both systems.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with either of these systems?
I'd like to know what some of their shortcomings might be. The NEC guy
tells me that the 3Com doesn't use true IP (SIP) technology, but
proprietary Ethernet. From my understanding, for LAN operation, the 3Com
works on a layer3 level (mac address) and is actually beneficial as it
conserves IP addresses.

Any information and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Peter Parker

Peter Parker

On 03/23/2005 1:42 PM, Peter Parker pondered briefly and then wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been researching a replacement for the company PBX phone system (an
> old Norstar system). I've come down to two choices. The 3Com NBX v5000
> (SuperStacker) and the NEC Elite IPK. I'm leaning towards the 3com, but
> I have a vendor that is particularly stubborn and keeps insisting the
> NEC is the better system for our needs. We currently have 80 phones and
> will be deploying that many with the new system. We have one location,
> but often have remote jobsite trailers that could take advantage of VoIP
> benefits. Future growth should be covered by both systems.
>
> Is there anyone out there that is familiar with either of these systems?
> I'd like to know what some of their shortcomings might be. The NEC guy
> tells me that the 3Com doesn't use true IP (SIP) technology, but
> proprietary Ethernet. From my understanding, for LAN operation, the 3Com
> works on a layer3 level (mac address) and is actually beneficial as it
> conserves IP addresses.
>
> Any information and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

No one has any thoughts or experience with either of these systems?

--
Peter Parker

cpaetz

Look at the NBX V3000 instead, has all the features of the V500
except the fault tolerant hard drives and network ports. and it
considerably cheaper

NEC systems are not that great, I dont know a lot about them but I ru
in to a lot of them that havnt lived up to their promises

If your looking to deploy remote extensions you should also look at
soft phone product called crystal voice, its an add on product fo
the NBX which compresses the voice stream considerably. I've eve
used it over dialup

Steve M. Mann

On 04/13/2005 9:16 PM, cpaetz pondered briefly and then wrote:

> Look at the NBX V3000 instead, has all the features of the V5000
> except the fault tolerant hard drives and network ports. and its
> considerably cheaper.
>
> NEC systems are not that great, I dont know a lot about them but I run
> in to a lot of them that havnt lived up to their promises.
>
> If your looking to deploy remote extensions you should also look at a
> soft phone product called crystal voice, its an add on product for
> the NBX which compresses the voice stream considerably. I've even
> used it over dialup.

Thanks for the input. We went with the V5000 (without the fault
tolerance) and will be deploying towards the end of the month. I'm
excited to get the project going.

I'll keep the 'Crystal Voice' in mind. We will eventually use remote
extensions at job site locations and the like.

Thanks again,
--
Steve (aka Peter Parker)
http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann