Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Can't call my VOIP phone from my cell phone, except when ROAMING

Can't call my VOIP phone from my cell phone, except when ROAMING

dg

Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
cellular covered area.

The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
know if anybody had any input or ideas.

Thanks,
--Dan

Rick Merrill

dg wrote:
> Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
> complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
> cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
> EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
> cellular covered area.
>
> The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
> no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
> cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
> know if anybody had any input or ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> --Dan

Just an idea that I have heard: some cell phones use a compression
algorithm and some IP services use a compression/decompression and some
of these combinations do not work well together. It may be that the
error message detects this sub optimal incompatibility and craps out!

Miguel Cruz

dg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
> complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
> cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
> EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
> cellular covered area.

Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its
routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with
that sort of thing.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

dg

"Miguel Cruz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
> freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in
> its
> routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal
> with
> that sort of thing.
>
> miguel

Yes, it is a new number. I have emailed both US cellular and Vonage. Your
description sounds like a good possibility.

Thanks,
--Dan

Jon Wang

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:51:59 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Miguel Cruz)
wrote:

>dg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
>> complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
>> cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
>> EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
>> cellular covered area.

>Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
>freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its
>routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with
>that sort of thing.
>
>miguel

I think Miguel is on the right track. I was going to ask you if you
had ported the Vonage number, but it sounds like you didn't--just a
new number.

Forget about that compression stuff suggestion by someone else.
that's not causing your problem.

Also, since I don't know if the market (city) that you're in has 7
digit *local* dialing, but if they do, try dialing it use all 10
digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX). Again, that would also get back to a routing
issue in the MSC translations. You didn't mention if the new VoIp
number can be dialed from a local landline w/o any probs?

Another thing...This paragraph is more of an FYI b/c I have another
provider, but also did 'evaluate' Vonage. With VoicePulse, if you've
enabled any of the "follow-me" features on the VoIP number that
include your cellphone as a simultaneous ring, you may be unable to
reach your VoIP # from the cell. Even if you did, that *should*
still work, but it would go to your cellular VMail. The problem in
this case is encountered when you're trying to hit your voip # from
the cell, and you get your cell VM. I just wanted to mention that.

Keep us posted as to the outcome.

Jon

dg

"Jon Wang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Keep us posted as to the outcome.
>
> Jon

I too agree that the problem is most likely the freshly allocated exchange.
The reason being, I can call the IP phone using a landline, I can also call
it if I am ROAMING on my cell phone but never withing US cellular territory.
So, yesterday I went down to US Cellular and told them about the problem but
didn't mention wht I thought the problem was. I was fortunate to talk to
their tech who is apparently pretty sharp because the first thing out of his
mouth was "is this a new prefix?" I told him yes, but didn't dare mention
it was an IP phone as I didn't want him pointing fingers at somebody else.
So, according to the tech the problem should be solved by Tuesday. It is SO
refreshing to talk to a technician who is actually good at what he does.

Thanks for all of your help, otherwise this could have taken a LOT longer!

THANKS!
--Dan

Isaac

dg wrote:
> Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
> complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
> cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
> EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
> cellular covered area.
>
> The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
> no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
> cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
> know if anybody had any input or ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> --Dan

I had this problem before.....tell your provider to perform a "LERGE"....