Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Virtual Modem for VoIP

Virtual Modem for VoIP

wkearney99

Given how cheap ATA devices are it seems like a fools errand to bother.

So, you're effectively talking about having a PC with a modem "call" into
this device, route it through a VoIP circuit and then dial-out again at the
remote end to connect to a remote BBS modem? Or, skipping the modem on the
source end, let the PC use a remote FXO interface as an outbound dialing
modem to the BBS. Sort of a tunnel for modem dialing? Isn't this what
terminal servers are for? Using VoIP seems like it would add an unnecessary
degree of complication to it.

Besides, BBS and modems? How LAST century...

(this from a guy who actually had and used 300 baud devices once upon a
time...)

-Bill Kearney

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I want to communicate to another BBS or FAX system over VoIP without
> relying on an ATA. This should be possible with a soundcard or a DSP
> which a soundcard is anyways.

wkearney99

> The virtual modems out there are for translating COM/Serial
> communications to IP traffic. Not VoIP traffic because it needs to
> refeed over the POTS network. I know exactly what I'm looking for and
> there is nothing on google like this.

There's nothing on google for all sorts of things. Sometimes because
nobody's done it yet. Often because most know better than to bother wasting
time on it.

Shiva's old series of NetModem devices come to mind when I think about
remote modem use. A client on the PC/Mac would tunnel through the local IP
network to the NetModem and then dial-out.

What problem, specifically, are you trying to solve? More and more it
doesn't seem like VoIP has any use in this situation.

Rick Merrill

Kyler Laird wrote:

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>

>>An ATA is not a modem. It simply translate Telephone Line Signal to a
>>digital packet for VoIP transmission.

> Yes, of course. A modem modulates and demodulates data between analog
> and digital representations and an ATA...uh...wait...tell me the
> difference again?
>
> --kyler

I for one will not argue with the kook, ok?

Rick Merrill

wkearney99 wrote:

> Given how cheap ATA devices are it seems like a fools errand to bother.
>
> So, you're effectively talking about having a PC with a modem "call" into
> this device, route it through a VoIP circuit and then dial-out again at the
> remote end to connect to a remote BBS modem? Or, skipping the modem on the
> source end, let the PC use a remote FXO interface as an outbound dialing
> modem to the BBS. Sort of a tunnel for modem dialing? Isn't this what
> terminal servers are for? Using VoIP seems like it would add an unnecessary
> degree of complication to it.
>
> Besides, BBS and modems? How LAST century...
>
> (this from a guy who actually had and used 300 baud devices once upon a
> time...)

(I still have one that also does 110 baud...)

Ivor Jones

Rick Merrill wrote:
> wkearney99 wrote:
>
>> Given how cheap ATA devices are it seems like a fools errand to
>> bother. So, you're effectively talking about having a PC with a modem
>> "call" into this device, route it through a VoIP circuit and then
>> dial-out again at the remote end to connect to a remote BBS modem?
>> Or, skipping the modem on the source end, let the PC use a remote
>> FXO interface as an outbound dialing modem to the BBS. Sort of a
>> tunnel for modem dialing? Isn't this what terminal servers are
>> for? Using VoIP seems like it would add an unnecessary degree of
>> complication to it. Besides, BBS and modems? How LAST century...
>>
>> (this from a guy who actually had and used 300 baud devices once
>> upon a time...)

> (I still have one that also does 110 baud...)

That's nothing, I used to have a Creed 444 on 50 baud RTTY

Ivor

donfanning@msn.com

The DSP would be the source (or emulated modem).
--through VoIP--
Talking to a real modem on the destination.

---

It's not LAST century when you consider how much of the world still
isn't on broadband.
Including all those myrad FAX machines, this would be something of a
killer application.

--

This coming from a guy who RAN BBS's on those 300 baud devices once
upon a time

donfanning@msn.com

A Shiva netmodem would be great as an OUTDIAL device hooked to your PBX
with a TELNET port into it.

however...

The problem is that I want to use a program to call out using my
existing soundcard and say connect to a remote system. Be it a ISP
indial, a VPN indial, a BBS indial, a FAX machine indial or even
reverse it so that when someone calls my VoIP POTS number, it connects
to my modem and provides modem/fax telephony without the hardware hit
(meaning an ATA).

---

Think of it this way... back in the day, hackers would be able to
wardial systems via modem. With current technology you have to use an
ATA to accomplish the same method. This just saves the trouble of an
ATA. Better yet, think of a built-in FAX capability right into your
VoIP without the need to subscribe to a IP-Based FAX network. Get my
picture?

donfanning@msn.com

Tests have proven that VoIP can tolerate speeds up to 14.4 better than
80%. Technically I don't require that speed. 2400 is more than
sufficient.

Miguel Cruz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The DSP would be the source (or emulated modem).
> --through VoIP--
> Talking to a real modem on the destination.

Do you understand how much loss there is in that extra D/A and A/D? It's
just not worth it.

> It's not LAST century when you consider how much of the world still
> isn't on broadband.

Not much of the world is interested in highly erratic 9600bps data service,
though.

There were companies doing what you propose in the past (though they did it
the right way, by doing the modulation/demodulation at the
phone-company-interface end, not at the originating end). To the best of my
knowledge they have all shut down due to lack of consumer interest.

> Including all those myrad FAX machines, this would be something of a
> killer application.

There are already endless fax delivery services, again, all of them doing it
the smart way, not the backwards and inefficient way you are proposing.

There's even a free one with decent coverage: http://www.tpc.int/

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

donfanning@msn.com

MWave and DSP's are the shortest route to the solution just because
they were able to emulate the sounds and belches that a modem makes
through software. A modern day SoundBlaster Audigy (or similar) has
100x the DSP computing capability than that DSP had.
---
There's no mixing examples. I give the MWave and DSP as an example of
technology that has already been created however is currently not in
production anymore. A more viable solution should be out there to
solve this issue being MODEM/FAX telephony over VoIP without the use of
an ATA which seems REDUNDANT if your soundcard is more than capable of
EMULATING a MODEM.

(apologies in advance for the excessive use of caps)