Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > local company versus skype

local company versus skype

dc

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Christopher from Linksys support says I need to enable the PC as a
> router, but that they don't support that.
>

> Thufir

When he says enable as a router, I believe he means set it up for internet
connection sharing. Which you should have gone through when installing the
second NIC, in your pc.

With this, I believe, that the phone adapter must be configured for NAT
(Network Address Translation)
See: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NAT.html

hawat.thufir@gmail.com

dc wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Christopher from Linksys support says I need to enable the PC as a
> > router, but that they don't support that.
> >

> > Thufir

> When he says enable as a router, I believe he means set it up for

internet
> connection sharing. Which you should have gone through when

installing the
> second NIC, in your pc.

[..]

What's meant by installing the second NIC? the 802.11b USB NIC utility
and driver were installed from a CD. Are you referring to the internal
ethernet NIC? The ethernet NIC was physically installed prior to the
802.11b NIC.

Thanks,

Thufir

dc

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> dc wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > > Christopher from Linksys support says I need to enable the PC as a
> > > router, but that they don't support that.
> > >

> > > Thufir

> > When he says enable as a router, I believe he means set it up for

> internet
> > connection sharing. Which you should have gone through when

> installing the
> > second NIC, in your pc.

> [..]
>
> What's meant by installing the second NIC? the 802.11b USB NIC utility
> and driver were installed from a CD. Are you referring to the internal
> ethernet NIC? The ethernet NIC was physically installed prior to the
> 802.11b NIC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thufir

from what I understand in your previous post, the wire less connection goes
into your PC, to provide the internet, then you have the second non-wireless
NIC. The non wireless nic is where the crossover cable would plug in, and
where the internet connection sharing would be setup. Basically I think its
set up by giving it an internal address (192.168.1.1, or something along
those lines) in the Network properties of the NIC.

hawat.thufir@gmail.com

dc wrote:
[..]
> from what I understand in your previous post, the wire less

connection goes
> into your PC, to provide the internet, then you have the second

non-wireless
> NIC. The non wireless nic is where the crossover cable would plug

in, and
> where the internet connection sharing would be setup. Basically I

think its
> set up by giving it an internal address (192.168.1.1, or something

along
> those lines) in the Network properties of the NIC.

yes.

thanks,

Thufir

hawat.thufir@gmail.com

hey, I bought the crossover cable ($14.99 CAD at radioshack), plugged
everything in, enabled ICS and...nothing. Took a nap, woke up,
everything works

thanks for the help, guys!

Thufir

dc

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> hey, I bought the crossover cable ($14.99 CAD at radioshack), plugged
> everything in, enabled ICS and...nothing. Took a nap, woke up,
> everything works
>
> thanks for the help, guys!
>
> Thufir

I am glad it worked. I will need to get one too then for when I hook it up
to my PC

hawat.thufir@gmail.com

dc wrote:
[..]
> > hey, I bought the crossover cable ($14.99 CAD at radioshack),

plugged
> > everything in, enabled ICS and...nothing. Took a nap, woke up,
> > everything works

[..]
> I am glad it worked. I will need to get one too then for when I hook

it up
> to my PC

had I known that it, the crossover cable, was required I would've
really pushed for them to substitute the regular cable for a crossover
cable...you might make an argument that the regular cable isn't
sufficient.

-Thufir

dc

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> dc wrote:
> [..]
> > > hey, I bought the crossover cable ($14.99 CAD at radioshack),

> plugged
> > > everything in, enabled ICS and...nothing. Took a nap, woke up,
> > > everything works

> [..]
> > I am glad it worked. I will need to get one too then for when I hook

> it up
> > to my PC

> had I known that it, the crossover cable, was required I would've
> really pushed for them to substitute the regular cable for a crossover
> cable...you might make an argument that the regular cable isn't
> sufficient.
>
> -Thufir

From digital voice, I didn't get a network cable. Network cables aren't
normally included with things.

Miguel Cruz

dc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> From digital voice, I didn't get a network cable. Network cables aren't
> normally included with things.

With "things"? I guess they are not normally included with toasters, string
cheese, or sans-a-belt slacks, no. But a good share of the networking
hardware I've bought over the years (wireless router, PMCIA ethernet
adapter, Vonage ATA, etc.) has included them.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

Ivor Jones

"dc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

[snip]

> From digital voice, I didn't get a network cable. Network cables aren't
> normally included with things.

I got one with my Sipura SPA-2000 and with the Grandstream ATA-486 and
with the Netgear DM602 modem/router and.....

Yes they are..!

Ivor

PS I have a reel of bulk cable and usually crimp my own, but they *are*
supplied. Usually anyway.