Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > local company versus skype

Reply
Thread Tools

local company versus skype

 
 
hawat.thufir@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2005
I'm looking at
<http://www.digitalvoice.ca>,<http://www.peopleline.net/> and
<http://www.skype.com/> for making calls to regular phones in
vancouver, BC, canada. I'll gladly accept recomendations

SKYPE: I like the credit idea for SkypeOut, but
<http://moneybookers.com/> is down at the moment.

DIGITAL VOICE: $20/month, first month free, free "Digital Voice phone
adapter," according to a pamphlet. why the hardware, why not just
headset with mic?

PEOPLE LINE/HOME I-LINE: $10/month, nice price, like the flat rate and
not dealing with an intermediary.

I don't quite get where the call originates from as I'm connecting from
an 802.11b network adapter to a router to a (shaw) cable modem...what
number appears on the recipients caller-id?

Mainly I'm looking for advice, over-looked options, different
companies, etc. I need to be able to call "regular" local numbers. At
present I have no need for long-distance or international, so that's
not a factor. What sort of hardware makes sense, just something from
<http://skype.com/store/accessories/>, or does this "Digital Voice
phone adapter" make sense, particularly since it's free?


thanks,

Thufir

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Cable Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
Snip
|| I don't quite get where the call originates from as I'm connecting
|| from an 802.11b network adapter to a router to a (shaw) cable
|| modem...what number appears on the recipients caller-id?
||
snip

With SkypeOut, "Unknown" appears on the CLID Unit


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hawat.thufir@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2005
for me, that's not a bug, that's a feature!

thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
dc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2005

> DIGITAL VOICE: $20/month, first month free, free "Digital Voice phone
> adapter," according to a pamphlet. why the hardware, why not just
> headset with mic?


I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone adater.
(www.sipura.com) Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial tone. I
really like, much cheaper than the phone company.


 
Reply With Quote
 
hawat.thufir@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005
dc wrote:
[..]
> I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone

adater.
> (www.sipura.com) Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial

tone. I
> really like, much cheaper than the phone company.


ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm
connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to
cable modem).

currently the phone adapter's connected to the ethernet jack of the
computer, while the 802.11b network adapter (NIC) is connected to a USB
port. if the ethernet NIC is enabled, will that enable the phone
adapter?

the only light blinking on the phone adapter is the power light. the
ethernet light and the lights for both phone jacks are dead, so there's
no traffic on the ethernet NIC.

The phone adapter:
<http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>, which
is free for thirty days



thanks,

Thufir

 
Reply With Quote
 
dc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> dc wrote:
> [..]
> > I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone

> adater.
> > (www.sipura.com) Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial

> tone. I
> > really like, much cheaper than the phone company.

>
> ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm
> connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to
> cable modem).
>
> currently the phone adapter's connected to the ethernet jack of the
> computer, while the 802.11b network adapter (NIC) is connected to a USB
> port. if the ethernet NIC is enabled, will that enable the phone
> adapter?
>
> the only light blinking on the phone adapter is the power light. the
> ethernet light and the lights for both phone jacks are dead, so there's
> no traffic on the ethernet NIC.
>
> The phone adapter:
> <http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>, which
> is free for thirty days
>
>
>
> thanks,
>
> Thufir


it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that your using
a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and the NIC
should probably also be enabled.
hope it helps.
dc


 
Reply With Quote
 
hawat.thufir@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005
dc wrote:
[..]
> it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that

your using
> a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and

the NIC
> should probably also be enabled.
> hope it helps.
> dc


I don't follow what you mean by a "cross-over cable," there's an
ethernet cable running from the phone adapter to the ethernet NIC's
jack. The cable is RJ-11, I believe, it looks like a wider phone
connection.

(No luck so far with enabling the ethernet NIC, it seems to disable the
802.11b NIC for some reason. After some more googling I'll take that
to a different group if I can't get it working, since it's tangential
here.)

thanks,

Thufir

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick Merrill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> dc wrote:
> [..]
>
>>it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that

>
> your using
>
>>a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and

>
> the NIC
>
>>should probably also be enabled.
>>hope it helps.
>>dc

>
>
> I don't follow what you mean by a "cross-over cable," there's an
> ethernet cable running from the phone adapter to the ethernet NIC's


Try a "crossover" connection: it allows two NIC to talk to each other.
OR look up the specs for your TA (telephone adapter) and see what is needed.

> jack. The cable is RJ-11, I believe, it looks like a wider phone
> connection.


Yes, That'll be a RJ-45 (looks quite similar, but wider).

> (No luck so far with enabling the ethernet NIC, it seems to disable the
> 802.11b NIC for some reason. After some more googling I'll take that
> to a different group if I can't get it working, since it's tangential
> here.)


First, try it without the wireless connection.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Heimo Hetl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm
> connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to
> cable modem).


Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone <http://www.zyxel.com/product
P2000W.php>. This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which is more
or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless phone in your
802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates, and it will
work with your PC being switched off.

Doesn't your WLAN router have a LAN port? You could attach an analog phone
adapter there.

cheers
Heimo


--
l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

 
Reply With Quote
 
hawat.thufir@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005
Heimo Hetl wrote:
[..]
> Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone <http://www.zyxel.com/product
> P2000W.php>. This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which is

more
> or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless phone

in your
> 802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates, and it

will
> work with your PC being switched off.


it'd probably have to connect to the router, to which I don't have
access to.

> Doesn't your WLAN router have a LAN port? You could attach an analog

phone
> adapter there.

[..]

I don't have physical access to the WLAN router, just 802.11b wireless.

thanks,

Thufir

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survey: Does your company use Python? Do you know a company thatuses Python? VanL Python 1 08-07-2009 08:22 PM
Re: Mozilla versus IE versus Opera versus Safari Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo Firefox 0 05-08-2008 12:56 PM
equal? versus eql? versus == versus === verus <=> Paul Butcher Ruby 12 11-28-2007 06:06 AM
The internet auction site eBay is in talks to buy net telephone company Skype {{{{{Welcome}}}}} UK VOIP 0 09-08-2005 01:27 PM
skype profile not updating to search company jcharth@hotmail.com VOIP 0 04-11-2005 07:02 PM



Advertisments