Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Re: P2P VoIP gateway setup

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: P2P VoIP gateway setup

 
 
=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Lucas_Sile=F1ski-Cahill?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
On 21/02/2005 00:52, the keyboard of Lucas Sileński-Cahill emitted:<br>
> Hi!
>
> I'm a newbie, so don't troll me, just bear with me...
>
> I recently got a VoIP broadband router and VoIP gateway from someone and
> wanted to try it. Now, I haven't done this before, so I'm a bit of a
> VoIP virgin. The first thing I would appreciate help with is what is
> the difference between a VoIP broadband router and the a normal router?
>
> The second thing is, once I plugged into my network at home and plug in
> the handset into the back of the gateway (which one would you recommend
> btw?) what is the next step?
>
> I heard that it is possible to make calls between ppl with similar
> equipment completely free (other than internet charges, of course), but
> does an intermediary provider *have* to be involved, or can that be done
> in a completely decentralised manner?
>
> What number would I call to reach the person on the other end? How does
> the system actually work?
>
> Which ports would I have to open/fwd on the hardware firewall/NAT in
> order for someone to be able to get through to call me?
>
> I've got a NAT router from NETGEAR sharing an ADSL connection wired and
> -less. On the wired network I've also got a wired Linksys print server.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated, even if you could just point me to
> some good resources where I can read up on the above!
>
> Best regards
>
>
> Lucas


OK, so with no help =( I managed to connect the router and VoIP gateway.
Looks like the VoIP router is in fact exactly the same as a normal
broadband router (correct me if I'm wrong) and just like most modern
broadband routers allows you to set priorities on the traffic passing
through. I expected the VoIP gateway (MPN model KG-1000 or HG-160 but I
can't tell which as there are no markings on the box itself) to acquire
an IP address from the main router but it didn't. I know that once I
have this address I just need to pop it in the DMZ. Still not sure what
the next step is.

I expect to need a provider, if only to organise the addressing of the
VoIP calls, but am still interested if there is a way to bypass any
providers. If anyone has any good links where a beginner like me can
learn how the system works then I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Lucas
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pepperoni
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005

"Lucas Sileński-Cahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cvuoql$qbm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
On 21/02/2005 00:52, the keyboard of Lucas Sileński-Cahill emitted:<br>
> Hi!
>
> I'm a newbie, so don't troll me, just bear with me...
>
> I recently got a VoIP broadband router and VoIP gateway from someone and
> wanted to try it. Now, I haven't done this before, so I'm a bit of a
> VoIP virgin. The first thing I would appreciate help with is what is
> the difference between a VoIP broadband router and the a normal router?
>
> The second thing is, once I plugged into my network at home and plug in
> the handset into the back of the gateway (which one would you recommend
> btw?) what is the next step?
>
> I heard that it is possible to make calls between ppl with similar
> equipment completely free (other than internet charges, of course), but
> does an intermediary provider *have* to be involved, or can that be done
> in a completely decentralised manner?
>
> What number would I call to reach the person on the other end? How does
> the system actually work?
>
> Which ports would I have to open/fwd on the hardware firewall/NAT in
> order for someone to be able to get through to call me?
>
> I've got a NAT router from NETGEAR sharing an ADSL connection wired and
> -less. On the wired network I've also got a wired Linksys print server.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated, even if you could just point me to
> some good resources where I can read up on the above!
>
> Best regards
>
>
> Lucas


OK, so with no help =( I managed to connect the router and VoIP gateway.
Looks like the VoIP router is in fact exactly the same as a normal
broadband router (correct me if I'm wrong) and just like most modern
broadband routers allows you to set priorities on the traffic passing
through. I expected the VoIP gateway (MPN model KG-1000 or HG-160 but I
can't tell which as there are no markings on the box itself) to acquire
an IP address from the main router but it didn't. I know that once I
have this address I just need to pop it in the DMZ. Still not sure what
the next step is.

I expect to need a provider, if only to organise the addressing of the
VoIP calls, but am still interested if there is a way to bypass any
providers. If anyone has any good links where a beginner like me can
learn how the system works then I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Lucas

Well, try to find the user manual online for your adapter.
Read up on sip basics here:
http://sipphone.com/basics/
Get some hints from adapter user guides here:
http://sipphone.com/adapters/

I can't find either model number you mention.

I would assume you should plug in the adapter directly to your cable modem,
plug your phone handset into the adapter, and then plug your PC or router
into the adapter.
let me see if I can find some graphic diagrams for you.....................

http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledge...59&category=32
or
http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledge...61&category=32

You aren't going to accomplish anything without some sort of account to log
on your adapter.

Why not try out a softphone first. (free) see the thread (today)
"TalkParade" for softphone providers.

I can't do much for you without a model number and you need some sort of
account to function. (see links in the above mentioned thread)

Pepperoni



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?UTF-8?B?THVjYXMgU2lsZcWEc2tpLUNhaGlsbA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2005
On 28/02/2005 12:59, the keyboard of Pepperoni emitted:<br>
> "Lucas Sile雟ki-Cahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cvuoql$qbm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 21/02/2005 00:52, the keyboard of Lucas Sile雟ki-Cahill emitted:<br>
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I'm a newbie, so don't troll me, just bear with me...
>>
>>I recently got a VoIP broadband router and VoIP gateway from someone and
>>wanted to try it. Now, I haven't done this before, so I'm a bit of a
>>VoIP virgin. The first thing I would appreciate help with is what is
>>the difference between a VoIP broadband router and the a normal router?
>>
>>The second thing is, once I plugged into my network at home and plug in
>>the handset into the back of the gateway (which one would you recommend
>>btw?) what is the next step?
>>
>>I heard that it is possible to make calls between ppl with similar
>>equipment completely free (other than internet charges, of course), but
>>does an intermediary provider *have* to be involved, or can that be done
>>in a completely decentralised manner?
>>
>>What number would I call to reach the person on the other end? How does
>>the system actually work?
>>
>>Which ports would I have to open/fwd on the hardware firewall/NAT in
>>order for someone to be able to get through to call me?
>>
>>I've got a NAT router from NETGEAR sharing an ADSL connection wired and
>>-less. On the wired network I've also got a wired Linksys print server.
>>
>>Any help will be much appreciated, even if you could just point me to
>>some good resources where I can read up on the above!
>>
>>Best regards
>>
>>
>>Lucas

>
>
> OK, so with no help =( I managed to connect the router and VoIP gateway.
> Looks like the VoIP router is in fact exactly the same as a normal
> broadband router (correct me if I'm wrong) and just like most modern
> broadband routers allows you to set priorities on the traffic passing
> through. I expected the VoIP gateway (MPN model KG-1000 or HG-160 but I
> can't tell which as there are no markings on the box itself) to acquire
> an IP address from the main router but it didn't. I know that once I
> have this address I just need to pop it in the DMZ. Still not sure what
> the next step is.
>
> I expect to need a provider, if only to organise the addressing of the
> VoIP calls, but am still interested if there is a way to bypass any
> providers. If anyone has any good links where a beginner like me can
> learn how the system works then I would be most grateful.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
>
> Lucas
>
> Well, try to find the user manual online for your adapter.
> Read up on sip basics here:
> http://sipphone.com/basics/
> Get some hints from adapter user guides here:
> http://sipphone.com/adapters/
>
> I can't find either model number you mention.
>
> I would assume you should plug in the adapter directly to your cable modem,
> plug your phone handset into the adapter, and then plug your PC or router
> into the adapter.
> let me see if I can find some graphic diagrams for you.....................
>
> http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledge...59&category=32
> or
> http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledge...61&category=32
>
> You aren't going to accomplish anything without some sort of account tolog
> on your adapter.
>
> Why not try out a softphone first. (free) see the thread (today)
> "TalkParade" for softphone providers.
>
> I can't do much for you without a model number and you need some sort of
> account to function. (see links in the above mentioned thread)
>
> Pepperoni
>
>
>


Hi Pepperoni,

Thanks very much indeed for your input. I have subsequently been told
(by the person that gave me the VoIP gateway) that it is in fact an
MPN-200 model. I even got the full manual, albeit in Chinese... I
figured out how to put it on the network, needed a serial cable and
telnet - password was in the manual.

So everything is working and the VoIP gateway is happily sitting in the
DMZ. Only problem I have now is that I suppose I need a Gatekeeper IP.
I assume this is normally a paid service, but are there any free ones?
I'm only looking to make calls between myself and similar setups in
Poland, Ireland, Taiwan and Japan. Any recommendations?

I have Skype and I am very happy with it for calling ppl that have a
computer, but not everybody does...

Another question, if I connected a videophone to the VoIP gateway would
it be possible to do videocalling with a similar videophone on the other
end?

Thank you for everything,

Best regards

Lucas
 
Reply With Quote
 
VOIP SS7 Softswitch specialists
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005

Lucas Silenski-Cahill wrote:
> On 21/02/2005 00:52, the keyboard of Lucas Sileński-Cahill

emitted:<br>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm a newbie, so don't troll me, just bear with me...
> >
> > I recently got a VoIP broadband router and VoIP gateway from

someone and
> > wanted to try it. Now, I haven't done this before, so I'm a bit of

a
> > VoIP virgin. The first thing I would appreciate help with is what

is
> > the difference between a VoIP broadband router and the a normal

router?
> >
> > The second thing is, once I plugged into my network at home and

plug in
> > the handset into the back of the gateway (which one would you

recommend
> > btw?) what is the next step?
> >
> > I heard that it is possible to make calls between ppl with similar
> > equipment completely free (other than internet charges, of course),

but
> > does an intermediary provider *have* to be involved, or can that be

done
> > in a completely decentralised manner?
> >
> > What number would I call to reach the person on the other end? How

does
> > the system actually work?
> >
> > Which ports would I have to open/fwd on the hardware firewall/NAT

in
> > order for someone to be able to get through to call me?
> >
> > I've got a NAT router from NETGEAR sharing an ADSL connection wired

and
> > -less. On the wired network I've also got a wired Linksys print

server.
> >
> > Any help will be much appreciated, even if you could just point me

to
> > some good resources where I can read up on the above!
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> >
> > Lucas

>
> OK, so with no help =( I managed to connect the router and VoIP

gateway.
> Looks like the VoIP router is in fact exactly the same as a normal
> broadband router (correct me if I'm wrong) and just like most modern
> broadband routers allows you to set priorities on the traffic passing


> through. I expected the VoIP gateway (MPN model KG-1000 or HG-160

but I
> can't tell which as there are no markings on the box itself) to

acquire
> an IP address from the main router but it didn't. I know that once I


> have this address I just need to pop it in the DMZ. Still not sure

what
> the next step is.
>
> I expect to need a provider, if only to organise the addressing of

the
> VoIP calls, but am still interested if there is a way to bypass any
> providers. If anyone has any good links where a beginner like me can


> learn how the system works then I would be most grateful.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
>
> Lucas


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skype Gateway,VoIP GSM Gateway,E1 GSM Channel bank Rebeccaliu VOIP 0 11-01-2006 02:16 PM
ANNC: Reliable Software LLC Advances P2P Version Control technology by including a P2P Wiki and Bug Database with the upcoming release of Code Co-op 5.0 relisoft C++ 1 07-11-2006 12:12 AM



Advertisments