Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Firefly / iaxComm / ZoneAlarm / disallow server

Firefly / iaxComm / ZoneAlarm / disallow server

Franc Zabkar

I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
making outbound international calls.

Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
novice?

- Franc Zabkar

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"Franc Zabkar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
> firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
> What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
> making outbound international calls.
>
> Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
> novice?
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

If you prevent them from acting as servers, it will prevent you from using the
programs to work as a two way communication system (phone), as preventing it
will block outgoing traffic, and you need the program to be able to send your
voice out.

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:14:57 -0000, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
<(E-Mail Removed)> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>"Franc Zabkar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
>> firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
>> What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
>> making outbound international calls.
>>
>> Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
>> novice?
>>

>> - Franc Zabkar
>> --
>> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

>If you prevent them from acting as servers, it will prevent you from using the
>programs to work as a two way communication system (phone), as preventing it
>will block outgoing traffic, and you need the program to be able to send your
>voice out.

Skype and iaxComm both work OK with server disabled. I haven't tried
Firefly yet. Skype has a file transfer feature - I suspect this
function will fail if server mode is disallowed.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:06:13 +1100, Franc Zabkar
<(E-Mail Removed)> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:14:57 -0000, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
><(E-Mail Removed)> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>

>>"Franc Zabkar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
>>> firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
>>> What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
>>> making outbound international calls.
>>>
>>> Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
>>> novice?
>>>

>>> - Franc Zabkar
>>> --
>>> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

>>If you prevent them from acting as servers, it will prevent you from using the
>>programs to work as a two way communication system (phone), as preventing it
>>will block outgoing traffic, and you need the program to be able to send your
>>voice out.

>Skype and iaxComm both work OK with server disabled. I haven't tried
>Firefly yet.

Firefly is OK, too.