Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Broadvoice - Local Number?

Broadvoice - Local Number?

gus

I live in San Francisco, but also have a home in Mexico, from which I
make
many calls back to the US. I would like to purchase a Sipura 3000 DTA,
sign
up for a Broadvoice account, assign myself a local number in my San
Francisco
415 area code, configure the Sipura here, take it to Mexico, install it
in my home
there, and thereafter make calls back to POTS (non-VIOP) telephones
here in
San Francisco. Can I do so, and ...

...... although the calls will physically originate in Mexico, the
billing will be
as if they originated in San Francisco. In other words, all
(from-Mexico) calls
will be included in my Broadvoice US-unlimited calling plan?????

[Not as important, but .... how do they do this? Does Broadvoice
service recognize
me based on the MAC address of the Sipura ..... which is the same
whether the
Sipura is physically in the US or in Mexico???].

Thanx!

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"gus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I live in San Francisco, but also have a home in Mexico, from which I
> make
> many calls back to the US. I would like to purchase a Sipura 3000 DTA,
> sign
> up for a Broadvoice account, assign myself a local number in my San
> Francisco
> 415 area code, configure the Sipura here, take it to Mexico, install it
> in my home
> there, and thereafter make calls back to POTS (non-VIOP) telephones
> here in
> San Francisco. Can I do so, and ...
>
> ..... although the calls will physically originate in Mexico, the
> billing will be
> as if they originated in San Francisco. In other words, all
> (from-Mexico) calls
> will be included in my Broadvoice US-unlimited calling plan?????
>
> [Not as important, but .... how do they do this? Does Broadvoice
> service recognize
> me based on the MAC address of the Sipura ..... which is the same
> whether the
> Sipura is physically in the US or in Mexico???].
>
> Thanx!

Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use the Sipura in
Mexico.

Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San Francisco.

It works by the phone registering you on the network based on your
username/account/phone number and password.

You could if you wanted to get a British (UK) number from www.sipgate.co.uk
and use it in Mexico and it would be as if you are in the UK. In fact I have
a London (UK) number, when I live in Birmingham (UK). I also have a USA
number too.

Rick Merrill

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use the Sipura in
> Mexico.
>
> Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San Francisco.
>
> It works by the phone registering you on the network based on your
> username/account/phone number and password.

"As if.." logically yes, but are there no practical differences? For
example, if the VoIP server for establishing your connection is IN San
Fran, might you not see some differences? (just curious)

Ivor Jones

Rick Merrill wrote:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>> Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use
>> the Sipura in Mexico.
>>
>> Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San
>> Francisco. It works by the phone registering you on the network based
>> on your
>> username/account/phone number and password.

> "As if.." logically yes, but are there no practical differences? For
> example, if the VoIP server for establishing your connection is IN
> San Fran, might you not see some differences? (just curious)

No. It doesn't matter where you attach to the internet, your VoIP system
will work as if you were in the area your number is located in.

Note that billing is the same as if you were there too, so a "local" call
might not be so local if it has to cross the Atlantic and back

Ivor

Ivor Jones

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> "gus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I live in San Francisco, but also have a home in Mexico, from
>> which I make
>> many calls back to the US. I would like to purchase a Sipura 3000
>> DTA, sign
>> up for a Broadvoice account, assign myself a local number in my San
>> Francisco
>> 415 area code, configure the Sipura here, take it to Mexico,
>> install it in my home
>> there, and thereafter make calls back to POTS (non-VIOP) telephones
>> here in
>> San Francisco. Can I do so, and ...
>>
>> ..... although the calls will physically originate in Mexico, the
>> billing will be
>> as if they originated in San Francisco. In other words, all
>> (from-Mexico) calls
>> will be included in my Broadvoice US-unlimited calling plan?????
>>
>> [Not as important, but .... how do they do this? Does Broadvoice
>> service recognize
>> me based on the MAC address of the Sipura ..... which is the same
>> whether the
>> Sipura is physically in the US or in Mexico???].
>>
>> Thanx!
>>

> Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use
> the Sipura in Mexico.
>
> Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San Francisco.
>
> It works by the phone registering you on the network based on your
> username/account/phone number and password.
>
> You could if you wanted to get a British (UK) number from
> www.sipgate.co.uk and use it in Mexico and it would be as if you
> are in the UK. In fact I have a London (UK) number, when I live in
> Birmingham (UK). I also have a USA number too.

Note that to get a geographical UK number on Sipgate, you must do the
initial registration from a British IP address.

Where in Birmingham are you..? I'm in Solihull..! Email me (address in
sig)

--

Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

broadvoice unlimited europe, is it good? hyuui VOIP 6 12-20-2004 04:25 AM
Broadvoice? Jonathan Roberts VOIP 2 11-01-2004 06:08 PM
solved my BroadVoice DTMF problem Kyler Laird VOIP 0 11-01-2004 05:08 AM
Considering broadvoice, what hardware to buy ? Rein VOIP 2 10-14-2004 07:26 PM
my BroadVoice experience Kyler Laird VOIP 8 09-22-2004 02:11 PM

Advertisments