Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Linksys PAP2 hack?

Linksys PAP2 hack?

Ghazan Haider

The PAP2 usually comes preset with the provider's IP, and seeks it
itself. Only after the provider gives its connection, does the dial
tone appear on the PAP2.

Can the PAP2 be hacked to seek another Asterix box for example? I'd be
interested in a setup where I have the two POTS ports of the PAP2
available, and I could dial from one to another. I'm sure the PAP2 has
no pbx capabilities, but would be nice to get it to talk to a
linux-based pbx at home.... unless its communication protocol (SIP?)
is too proprietary.

I'm also not sure if the firmware of the PAP2 is located in a
different spot from the configuration, or is everything configured,
compiled and burned? If the config is in a different place, making it
point elsewhere should be trivial..

If it speaks standards-based protocols, I could even fake the IP it
seeks, pointing to a local asterix box for the job.

Any thoughts?

This also allows me to roll out my own VOIP joint... or at least
skype-type joint where people can use their standard phones + PAP2,
without the use of a computer. Legal issues in reconfiguring the PAP2
if at all possible?

Mike Schumann

Why not just get a Sipura box that you don't need to hack????

Mike Schumann

"Ghazan Haider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The PAP2 usually comes preset with the provider's IP, and seeks it
> itself. Only after the provider gives its connection, does the dial
> tone appear on the PAP2.
>
> Can the PAP2 be hacked to seek another Asterix box for example? I'd be
> interested in a setup where I have the two POTS ports of the PAP2
> available, and I could dial from one to another. I'm sure the PAP2 has
> no pbx capabilities, but would be nice to get it to talk to a
> linux-based pbx at home.... unless its communication protocol (SIP?)
> is too proprietary.
>
> I'm also not sure if the firmware of the PAP2 is located in a
> different spot from the configuration, or is everything configured,
> compiled and burned? If the config is in a different place, making it
> point elsewhere should be trivial..
>
> If it speaks standards-based protocols, I could even fake the IP it
> seeks, pointing to a local asterix box for the job.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> This also allows me to roll out my own VOIP joint... or at least
> skype-type joint where people can use their standard phones + PAP2,
> without the use of a computer. Legal issues in reconfiguring the PAP2
> if at all possible?

mazilo

> Ghazan Haiderwrote
The PAP2 usually comes preset with the provider's IP, and seeks i
> itself. Only after the provider gives its connection, does the dia
> tone appear on the PAP2

Who's your PAP2 provider, i.e Vonage

> Ghazan Haiderwrote

Can the PAP2 be hacked to seek another Asterix box for example? I'
> interested in a setup where I have the two POTS ports of the PAP
> available, and I could dial from one to another. I'm sure the PAP

ha
> no pbx capabilities, but would be nice to get it to talk to
> linux-based pbx at home.... unless its communication protoco

(SIP?
> is too proprietary

I haven't seen one hacked, yet

> Ghazan Haiderwrote

I'm also not sure if the firmware of the PAP2 is located in
> different spot from the configuration, or is everything configured
> compiled and burned? If the config is in a different place, makin

> point elsewhere should be trivial.

I hear from other forums that resetting the PAP2 to its factor
original will certainly remove the lock; however, during the proces
of resetting, it will ask you the password if the PAP2 has bee
registered to some provider

> Ghazan Haiderwrote

If it speaks standards-based protocols, I could even fake the IP i
> seeks, pointing to a local asterix box for the job
>
> Any thoughts

AFAIK, PA2 along with most ATA devices on the market are SI
compliance; thus, it speaks some standard-base protocols

> Ghazan Haiderwrote

This also allows me to roll out my own VOIP joint... or at leas
> skype-type joint where people can use their standard phones + PAP2
> without the use of a computer. Legal issues in reconfiguring th

PAP
> if at all possible

How would you do that since Skype is not SIP compliance

VISION

Ive been told you can sniff out the connection stream for the Pap2 and
the other linksys vonage routers.

No firmwares have been posted to convert to the NA models so far as i
know.

I personaly would like to make my asterisk box the vonage ATA
device.... and to use my Linksys rtp "vonage" router as a phone adaptor
for my network.

I may have to convert to another phone providor that is more asterisk
friendly.... but i would still have this linksys gear .... unusable.

mcamino

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic3988.html

It is an idea. Why doesnt someone call up vonage with their pap2 devic
(using the old firmware) and have vonage "flag" an update to thei
device. The way i look at it is this. If vonage can force feed
firmware update to the boxes, why cant we? If they flag one of th
boxes, and we have ethercap running, we capture the traffic, we analys
it, and most likely we get the magical admin password to the pap2. If w
dont get the admin password atleast we figure out how they feed firmwar
and we can copy the firmware the same way (through faked dns entries an
such)

Its a valid idea, and i have a VIRGIN pap2 to try your ideas on. (i a
currently trying to brute force the username and password which i
frankly impossible even at 1000 attempts per second, it will tak
1million years, no joking, to force the password

--
mcamino

mcamino

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic3988.htm

It is an idea. Why doesnt someone call up vonage with their pap
device (using the old firmware) and have vonage "flag" an update t
their device. The way i look at it is this. If vonage can force fee
a firmware update to the boxes, why cant we? If they flag one of th
boxes, and we have ethercap running, we capture the traffic, w
analyse it, and most likely we get the magical admin password to th
pap2. If we dont get the admin password atleast we figure out ho
they feed firmware and we can copy the firmware the same way (throug
faked dns entries and such

Unlocking linksys PAP2 Shaker VOIP 7 05-23-2010 01:37 PM
Linksys PAP2 router Paul -M- VOIP 6 05-12-2005 01:16 PM
Linksys PAP2 locked to Vonage, support people funny Kyler Laird VOIP 55 03-25-2005 08:05 AM
Documentation for Linksys PAP2-NA Vox Humana VOIP 6 03-21-2005 06:08 PM
can I connect Vonage/Linksys PAP2 to home phone wiring? Gary Dale VOIP 15 03-20-2005 10:10 PM

Advertisments