Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > phone number mandatory with DSL? what's the point in offering VOIP ?

phone number mandatory with DSL? what's the point in offering VOIP ?

Test

Good day ladies, gentlemen,

I'm in Canada and I'm connected using DSL from AEI.ca.
The physical line is Bell Canada.

Tell me if I still must have the Bell account if I want to use my actual DSL
provider for Voip services?

If I still have to pay Bell Canada ... then what's the point in offering
VOIP ??????

Is VOIP with DSL a non-sense?

I have 2 choices :

1. Switch to Cable Modem (much more $$$ ... about 15$ more per month)
2. Just forget VOIP

I don't mind having some fees for using the physical BELL cables ... But I'd
rather have the choice for my Internet and phone providers...

Thanks
SLY

Rick Merrill

Test wrote:

> Good day ladies, gentlemen,
>
> I'm in Canada and I'm connected using DSL from AEI.ca.
> The physical line is Bell Canada.

FWIK, a DSL line IS a phone line (x2) so you have to have a phone number.

> Tell me if I still must have the Bell account if I want to use my actual DSL
> provider for Voip services?

Sure looks like it. The "phone" part is however pretty cheap if you
don't use it to place calls other than 911...Does Canada have 911? E911?

> If I still have to pay Bell Canada ... then what's the point in offering
> VOIP ??????

flat rate? features? voice mail? free LD?

> Is VOIP with DSL a non-sense?

No, it's offered in the US also.

> I have 2 choices :
>
> 1. Switch to Cable Modem (much more $$$ ... about 15$ more per month)
> 2. Just forget VOIP
>
> I don't mind having some fees for using the physical BELL cables ... But I'd
> rather have the choice for my Internet and phone providers...

Lucas Tam

"Test" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:421b72ad_3@aeinews.:

> If I still have to pay Bell Canada ... then what's the point in offering
> VOIP ??????

Cheaper (or unlimited) LD, probably more features or cheaper features such
as Caller ID, VoiceMail, etc. Maybe free in-network calling (i.e. if you
call between 2 VoIP phones, the call maybe free).

So if you're a heavy phone user, VoIP should be cheaper.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Enzo Michelangeli

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Test wrote:
>
> > Good day ladies, gentlemen,
> >
> > I'm in Canada and I'm connected using DSL from AEI.ca.
> > The physical line is Bell Canada.

> FWIK, a DSL line IS a phone line (x2) so you have to have a phone

number.

No you don't: DSL data and voice traffic only share the last mile of
twisted pair. The telefon number has nothing to do with it: it's only used
by the telephone exchange AFTER the two types of traffic have been split.
The real issue is that the old telcos are worried of going to lose
revenues to VoIP, and are trying to shove down the subscribers' throats
contracts for voice traffic as well. Here is where telecom regulators
should prove to have balls, if they haven't sold them to the telcos...

Enzo

T. Sean Weintz

Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
Here is where telecom regulators
> should prove to have balls, if they haven't sold them to the telcos...
>
> Enzo

Um, sorry dude. They sold the family jewels to the bells YEARS ago.

--
T. Sean Weintz - T. Sean Weintz - T. Sean Weintz - T. Sean Weintz
May be copied freely without the express permission of T. Sean Weintz.