Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > GSM Codec IP Licensing?

GSM Codec IP Licensing?

nearly_blind@yahoo.com

Is there a consortium for IP licensing
for use of GSMEFR,FR, AMR in telecom equipment?

If not how does a company go about insuring it
won't get sued at some point if they are
using the GSM codecs in their products?

Enzo Michelangeli

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is there a consortium for IP licensing
> for use of GSMEFR,FR, AMR in telecom equipment?
>
> If not how does a company go about insuring it
> won't get sued at some point if they are
> using the GSM codecs in their products?

You can ALWAYS be sued: at most, you can reasonably hope to win the
lawsuit. Why don't you forget about GSM and use Speex (www.speex.org)
instead?

Enzo

Tobias Erichsen

"Enzo Michelangeli" <(E-Mail Removed)-ip.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Is there a consortium for IP licensing
>> for use of GSMEFR,FR, AMR in telecom equipment?
>>
>> If not how does a company go about insuring it
>> won't get sued at some point if they are
>> using the GSM codecs in their products?

> You can ALWAYS be sued: at most, you can reasonably hope to win the
> lawsuit. Why don't you forget about GSM and use Speex (www.speex.org)
> instead?

Probably because there a few vendors in the market which support
GSM but not many commercial ones who do so with Speex...

Apart from that, GSM is computationally not nearly as straining
as Speex is.

Tobias

PS.: And even using Speex you are not safe that someone might sue you
because they think you infringe on their IPs...

nearly_blind@yahoo.com

Thanks, but use of the GSM codecs is manditory in our
application. Anyone know if there's a licensing consortium
or where I can find IP licensing info?
(Note we have the software implementations).
E.g. for G.723.1A you can go to sipro.com