Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Cordless phone problem

Cordless phone problem

Isaiah Beard

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
> be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Isaiah Beard

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:46:47 -0500, "Budwich" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> This sounds the most promising explanation, because the phone works
> fine with POTS line, and a corded phone works fine with the ATA.

> Solution, get a different phone.

I've found that Uniden cordless phones work very well with the Vonage
ATAs. Only problem is that thhe 5.8GHz FHSS models all come with
answering machines which of course won't get any use under Vonage (and
the non-answering machine units are all analog, which I would never
use). They do have a DSS 2.4GHz basic cordless phone though, model
DCT646, that plays well with the wifi network in my house, so you may
want to try it.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Ivor Jones

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> Rick Merrill wrote:
>> Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
>> be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

> For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless
> phone. 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
website of anyone selling these..? All digital cordless phones in the UK
at least use 2.4 GHz.

Ivor

Miguel Cruz

Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
> website of anyone selling these..?

Go to www.amazon.com

In the search box put: 5.8 ghz

At least that works from Malaysia, where they show us the US version of
Amazon by default.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

Isaiah Beard

Ivor Jones wrote:

>>For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless
>> phone. 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

> I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
> website of anyone selling these..? All digital cordless phones in the UK
> at least use 2.4 GHz.

http://tinyurl.com/4xono

It may be that 5.8GHz is licensed spectrum in the UK/EU, and so such
phones might not be available there.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Bob

Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
they can get away with this, I don't know.
"Isaiah Beard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rick Merrill wrote:
> > Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
> > be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

> For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
> 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Bob

Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
http://tinyurl.com/blkxk

However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns out
it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
http://tinyurl.com/bwz38

news:kwPie.6504$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
> least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
> they can get away with this, I don't know.
> "Isaiah Beard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rick Merrill wrote:
> > > Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
> > > be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

> > For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
> > 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
> >

> > --
> > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

R-Guy

From the manual ...

TRANSMIT FREQUENCY
Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz

RECEIVE FREQUENCY
Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz

802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz
802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz

news:_EPie.6565$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
> This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
> http://tinyurl.com/blkxk
>
> However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns
> out
> it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
> http://tinyurl.com/bwz38
>

> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kwPie.6504$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
>> least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
>> they can get away with this, I don't know.
>> "Isaiah Beard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless
>> > phone.
>> > 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
>> >

>> > --
>> > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
>> > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Bob

I'm not sure who that reply is to, but it doesn't say 2.4 ghz on the box, or
in the ad on their page.
"R-Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> From the manual ...
>
> TRANSMIT FREQUENCY
> Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
> Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
>
> RECEIVE FREQUENCY
> Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
> Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
>

> 802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz
> 802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz
>

> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_EPie.6565$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
> > This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
> > http://tinyurl.com/blkxk
> >
> > However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns
> > out
> > it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
> > http://tinyurl.com/bwz38
> >

> > "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:kwPie.6504$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
> >> least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing.

How
> >> they can get away with this, I don't know.
> >> "Isaiah Beard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Rick Merrill

Bob wrote:

> I'm not sure who that reply is to, but it doesn't say 2.4 ghz on the box, or
> in the ad on their page.
> "R-Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>From the manual ...
>>
>>TRANSMIT FREQUENCY
>>Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
>>Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
>>
>>RECEIVE FREQUENCY
>>Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
>>Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
>>

>>802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz
>>802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz
>>

>>"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:_EPie.6565$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
>>>This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
>>>http://tinyurl.com/blkxk
>>>
>>>However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns
>>>out
>>>it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
>>>http://tinyurl.com/bwz38
>>>

>>>"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:kwPie.6504$(E-Mail Removed) ...

Thanks Bob and r-guy for backing up my suggestion, but I would guess
that the OP isn't listening!-)