Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype ?

Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype ?

anna

Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype
?

I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc ?
Which is most economical ?

We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly
US)

What service/plan is best for us ?

Any companies to avoid ?
Are all calls equally clear ? in terms of static ?

Also what headsets do to get. Would like to get a headset/phone that
gives clear reception. Prefer to avoid the static on the line.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Anna

Miguel Cruz

anna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype?
>
> I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc?
> Which is most economical?

They have very different pricing models. Vonage is based on a higher monthly
fee that includes a base number of minutes (or, depending on the plan,
"unlimited" minutes), whereas Skype is pay-as-you-go.

Also, Vonage uses normal telephones, while Skype uses your computer.

And you cannot receive calls from normal phones with Skype - you need to
keep a regular phone line as well.

Another one to look at is Broadvoice, which has a wider range of plans than
Vonage but still lets you use a normal phone.

> We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly US)

At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
$16) would of course not be economical in your case.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Ivor Jones

anna wrote:
> Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage /
> Skype ?
>
> I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc ?
> Which is most economical ?
>
> We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per
> month.(mostly US)
>
> What service/plan is best for us ?
>
> Any companies to avoid ?
> Are all calls equally clear ? in terms of static ?
>
> Also what headsets do to get. Would like to get a headset/phone that
> gives clear reception. Prefer to avoid the static on the line.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Anna

It would help to know in which country you are located. Also are the
people you call also on VoIP or do you need to call ordinary phone
lines..? Do you receive calls from them as well..?

I use www.sipgate.co.uk and it has for the most part been excellent. Call
quality is no different to a normal phone and with the hardware adaptor
(rather than using a PC with a headset) I can plug in a normal telephone
and unless you follow the cable when it comes out of the back of the phone
you can't tell it from a normal landline. It even has a normal phone
number in the same area code as my normal line.

Calls between users of the service are free, there are also agreements
with several other VoIP providers to give free calls also. Calls to the
public phone network do cost money of course but the rates are for the
most part very cheap, although this does vary country by country.

Hope this helps,

Ivor

Rick Merrill

Miguel Cruz wrote:

> anna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype?
>>
>>I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc?
>>Which is most economical?

> They have very different pricing models. Vonage is based on a higher monthly
> fee that includes a base number of minutes (or, depending on the plan,
> "unlimited" minutes), whereas Skype is pay-as-you-go.
>
> Also, Vonage uses normal telephones, while Skype uses your computer.
>
> And you cannot receive calls from normal phones with Skype - you need to
> keep a regular phone line as well.
>
> Another one to look at is Broadvoice, which has a wider range of plans than
> Vonage but still lets you use a normal phone.
>

>>We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly US)

> At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
> would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
> $16) would of course not be economical in your case.
>
> miguel

There's also VoiceWing and CallVantage, which is a flat fee with
unlimited long distance!

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Miguel Cruz) writes:
> At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
> would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
> $16) would of course not be economical in your case.

And 3 cents/minute is already kind of high. Heck, you can get POTS
long distance for 2.75 cents/min from ECG.

There are quite a few places offering 2 cents/minute, and one or two
offering 1-cent-and-change. (off the top of my head gafachi and
nufone are 2cents, simple telecom is 1.7 is cents.) The important
thing to look for is folks that don't want you to buy a locked-up ATA
or phone that you can only use with them.

In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)

-wolfgang
Hate software patents? Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/

Carl Navarro

On 6 Feb 2005 09:15:35 -0800, "anna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype
>?
>
>I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc ?
>Which is most economical ?
>
>We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly
>US)
>'
>What service/plan is best for us ?

Where are you calling from? US-US calls on Packet8 is $19.95/month
for flat rate residential unlimited calling. If you're not in the US,
the rate is $19.95 for 1000 minutes.

>Any companies to avoid ?
>Are all calls equally clear ? in terms of static ?

They basically all suck. It's not static, it's dropoits.

>Also what headsets do to get. Would like to get a headset/phone that
>gives clear reception. Prefer to avoid the static on the line.
>
>Any help would be highly appreciated.

Go to www.packet8.com. In residential you get a box. Plug your phone
into it or a key system line and you can hang whatever you want on it.

Carl Navarro

Rick Merrill

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Miguel Cruz) writes:
>
>>At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
>>would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
>>$16) would of course not be economical in your case.

> And 3 cents/minute is already kind of high. Heck, you can get POTS
> long distance for 2.75 cents/min from ECG.
>
> There are quite a few places offering 2 cents/minute, and one or two
> offering 1-cent-and-change. (off the top of my head gafachi and
> nufone are 2cents, simple telecom is 1.7 is cents.) The important
> thing to look for is folks that don't want you to buy a locked-up ATA
> or phone that you can only use with them.
>
> In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
> Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
> nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)
>
> -wolfgang

Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter or
the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

Miguel Cruz

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
>> Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
>> nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)

> Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter or
> the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

They are complete devices - basically, physical telephones with ethernet
ports.

www.grandstream.com

miguel
--

Miguel Cruz wrote:
> Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>
>>>In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
>>>Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
>>>nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)

>>Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter or
>>the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

> They are complete devices - basically, physical telephones with ethernet
> ports.
>
> www.grandstream.com
>
> miguel

So can you plug them into your LAN and make calls to one another? What
happens if one user is transfering large files from one computer to
another? (i.e. how is QoS (quality of service) maintained?) -- RM

Mitel Lurker

If you'd prefer a non-voip, toll-grade LD provider at a mere 2 per
minute total (US-Domestic), with no fees, no connect charges, no
membership, no lost/unused minutes and NO TAXES, you might want to look
into One Suite <http://www.onesuite.com>