Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > leaving mic plugged into computer

leaving mic plugged into computer

Tim923

Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset plugged
in all the time?

Ivor Jones

Tim923 wrote:
> Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset
> plugged in all the time?

Why would there be..?

Ivor

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tim923 wrote:
>> Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset
>> plugged in all the time?

>Why would there be..?

If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or other
junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that someone could be
listening in -- But chances are none of us here (myself included) have
anything interesting enough to be worth spying on.

--
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man. That dang ol'
Internet, man. You just go on there and point

Ivor Jones

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Tim923 wrote:
>>> Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset
>>> plugged in all the time?

>> Why would there be..?

> If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or
> other junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that
> someone could be listening in -- But chances are none of us here
> (myself included) have anything interesting enough to be worth
> spying on.

Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't* got any
spyware..??!!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DevilsPGD wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Why would there be..?

>> If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or
>> other junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that
>> someone could be listening in -- But chances are none of us here
>> (myself included) have anything interesting enough to be worth
>> spying on.

>Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't* got any
>spyware..??!!

You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days, I
just assume people have spyware installed.

--
'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all.

Ivor Jones

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>> Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't*
>> got any spyware..??!!

> You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days,
> I just assume people have spyware installed.

You won't find any here

Ivor

Tim923

I was having some hard drive type noise coming out of my speaker that
seemed to happen after I used my headset, making me wonder if the
headset had anything to do with it. That's why I asked. It may be
the cheap built-in sound card.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DevilsPGD wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>[snip]
>
>>> Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't*
>>> got any spyware..??!!

>> You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days,
>> I just assume people have spyware installed.

>You won't find any here

You and me both. I've run without virus scanners for several years now,
although I do occasionally scan my system with a couple AV solutions
plus a couple spyware scanners, and aside from cookies (since when are
cookies spyware?) I haven't had a legitimate hit in years.

Interestingly enough an app a friend and I developed back in the late
90s is now on NAV's virus list. It was just a simple (one click)
install a FTP server and some remote control software, plus a home grown
precursor-to-dynamic-DNS client to make remote troubleshooting easier.

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

Ivor Jones

DevilsPGD wrote:

[snip]

> You and me both. I've run without virus scanners for several years
> now, although I do occasionally scan my system with a couple AV
> solutions plus a couple spyware scanners, and aside from cookies
> (since when are cookies spyware?) I haven't had a legitimate hit in
> years.

Cookies can report back what you've been doing, where you've been on the
web etc. so I don't like them for that reason. Not spyware in the strict
sense of the word but I still delete them on a daily basis. It keeps
getting me popups asking if I want to accept cookies every time I go on
eBay or wherever, but at least I know what's going on.

> Interestingly enough an app a friend and I developed back in the
> late 90s is now on NAV's virus list. It was just a simple (one
> click) install a FTP server and some remote control software, plus
> a home grown precursor-to-dynamic-DNS client to make remote
> troubleshooting easier.

I have trouble occasionally with an old DOS application I sometimes use.
It's a remote control program that lets you take over the screen and
keyboard of another computer under the IPX protocol, which I use to
monitor a standalone DOS PC that's on my system. Norton Antivirus flags it
as a trojan, which of course it is, but it was designed to be..! I keep
adding it to the known applications list but it keeps deleting itself
somehow

Ivor