Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > 2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Martin 53N 1W

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>>

> The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
> Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
> connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
> DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
> numbers to the end of IP addresses.

On some devices you can call the zones anything you like!

I've not used your modem. The settings might be hidden under the heading
"RDR" or redirect or similar.

> I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time.

Check out a dedicated firewall-router. Or run linux with a diskless PC.
There are single floppy firewall distros that will run on /really old/
PCs...

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Chris Blunt

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:11:32 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:csp9sa$vgp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..?
>> I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
>> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
>> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
>> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
>> range.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
>> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
>> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond
>> to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the
>> Sipgate site.
>>
>> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
>> ask here.
>>
>> Ivor

>Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005
>and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried
>calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either
>direction.
>
>Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful
>guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but
>no luck.
>
>I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
>the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
>the DMZ to more than one address.
>
>So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped
>Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a
>friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I
>won't lose out financially.
>
>Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got
>two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let
>me know how you did it..!!

The only way I could ever get my Sipgate connection to work was by
setting the router DMZ to the address of the ATA-486. I'd tried
everything before that, including opening all the ports as recommended
by Sipgate, but the best I could get was the same as you, audio in one
direction only.

Chris

Yaser Doleh

You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports 5005 and
5061 to the other IP.

Yaser

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If
>>not, then use DMZ and DMZ2!?
>>
>>What you want is port forwarding such that:
>>
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>>

>>If your router can't support that, then you need another router or
>>you should set up your own Asterisk server...
>>
>>Good luck,
>>Martin

> The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
> Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
> connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
> DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
> numbers to the end of IP addresses.
>
> I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time. Maybe one
> of the Sipura devices that has 2 phone sockets..? Could one of these be
> configured to do what I want..?
>
> Ivor

Rick Merrill

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
> currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.
>
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to
> incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate
> site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
> here.

Did you get a reply from Sipgate? I do not think they
allow/permit/support what you are trying to do!

Ivor Jones

Yaser Doleh wrote:
> You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
> forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports
> 5005 and 5061 to the other IP.

If I disable DMZ neither of them work, including the one that works with
its IP address set in the DMZ.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

Chris Blunt wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:11:32 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to
>> require the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address,
>> obviously I can't set the DMZ to more than one address.
>>
>> So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone
>> pear-shaped Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but
>> I might try seeing if a friend who I know is currently using
>> X-Lite is interested, either way I won't lose out financially.
>>
>> Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has
>> *successfully* got two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a
>> single router, *please* let me know how you did it..!!

> The only way I could ever get my Sipgate connection to work was by
> setting the router DMZ to the address of the ATA-486. I'd tried
> everything before that, including opening all the ports as
> recommended by Sipgate, but the best I could get was the same as
> you, audio in one direction only.

Exactly, so how do I get *two* ATA-486's working..? I can only set one IP
in the DMZ..!

Ivor

Ivor Jones

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single
>> router..? I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a
>> Netgear DM602 modem/router and I'd like to add a second account.
>> Initially I'd like to get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do
>> this ok I'd maybe invest in either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port
>> device such as one of the Sipura range.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to
>> function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it
>> wouldn't log on and although I can originate calls from the second
>> account it won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and
>> shows as offline on the Sipgate site.
>>
>> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought
>> I'd ask here.

> Did you get a reply from Sipgate? I do not think they
> allow/permit/support what you are trying to do!

Read my earlier posts. I spent half an hour on the phone with the guy from
Sipgate who said it should work, but no way anything we tried worked.

Ivor

Yaser Doleh

Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
forwarding.

Email me directly and I will try to help you.

Yaser

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>
>>You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
>>forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports
>>5005 and 5061 to the other IP.

> If I disable DMZ neither of them work, including the one that works with
> its IP address set in the DMZ.
>
> Ivor

Ivor Jones

Yaser Doleh wrote:
> Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
> forwarding.
>
> Email me directly and I will try to help you.
>
> Yaser

Yes I *have* tried it, and several other combinations and nothing works. I
already have port forwarding enabled in addition to the DMZ and only with
both does the single ATA-486 work. Disable either and it does not. Add the
second ATA and it doesn't.

I'm on the point of giving up now..!

Ivor

PS could you bottom post please, many thanks.

Martin 53N 1W

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>
>>Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
>>forwarding.

[...]
> Yes I *have* tried it, and several other combinations and nothing works. I

[...]
> I'm on the point of giving up now..!

There must be something about your modem-router that you're missing.

You know about IPs, redirects and port forwarding. Now check that each
ATA works individually for their respective IPs and ports as you expect.
Then try setting up for both simultaneously.

Check the modem-router manual/datasheets.

I'm guessing that you have:

ISP

Modem-Router-(Firewall)

LAN Switch or Hub --> ATA #2

ATA #1

Yes?

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3

Linksys PAP2 behind PBX - Sipgate Stephen Oliver UK VOIP 0 09-25-2006 12:58 PM
Sipgate Numbers John DH UK VOIP 1 09-18-2005 01:27 PM
Sipgate - two numbers on same account ? Martin² UK VOIP 2 05-22-2005 02:46 AM
Sipgate can call mobiles, non-geographic numbers but not landlines... George UK VOIP 9 05-14-2005 07:07 PM

Advertisments