Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Asterisk only for VoIP?

Asterisk only for VoIP?

abUser

Hello
I'm absolutely new to Asterisk!

I don't have any FX0 cards or anything, just a Fedora box
Can I just set up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on the
network so they can all dial each other on local network and leave
voicemail?

-
Only want to start with something simple at first-
Thanks!

BlueRinse

> I don't have any FX0 cards or anything, just a Fedora box Can I just set
> up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on the network so
> they can all dial each other on local network and leave voicemail?

Yes. Look here:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2.../asterisk.html

Kyler Laird

"abUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I'm absolutely new to Asterisk!

Welcome.

>I don't have any FX0 cards or anything,

I do. I rarely use them anymore.

For about $30 you can buy prepaid time with a decent VoIP provider.
At less than $0.02/minute that goes a long way. It's hard for me to
justify messing with telephone lines just to get worse service (fewer
features, single call appearance, poor line supervision, ...).

>just a Fedora box
>Can I just set up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on the
>network so they can all dial each other on local network and leave
>voicemail?

Definitely. Asterisk is quite capable of that (and I've done it).
Give Asterisk a shot but don't hesitate to ask for help here. I know
there are people monitoring who would appreciate hearing about your
experience.

--kyler

abUser

Thanks a lot for the answers,

managed to setup just what was looking for.
good link with a practical example was:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2...sk.html?page=4

"abUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WV8Hd.5670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I'm absolutely new to Asterisk!
>
> I don't have any FX0 cards or anything, just a Fedora box
> Can I just set up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on

the
> network so they can all dial each other on local network and leave
> voicemail?
>
> -
> Only want to start with something simple at first-
> Thanks!

Digium Listed Partner HostPBX.US Hosted Asterisk for only $19.99/month majordomo VOIP 0 07-13-2011 10:17 PM
VG248 with Asterisk Erdem Kucuk Cisco 2 04-30-2009 04:52 PM
Trying to send call to Asterisk Ramon F Herrera Cisco 0 07-03-2005 08:04 AM
RTC & Asterisk =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbQ==?= Microsoft Certification 0 12-23-2004 10:27 AM
DataGrid: jumping to the append row (asterisk) David Bird via .NET 247 ASP .Net 0 04-16-2004 02:07 PM

Advertisments