Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Asterisk PBX on Ethernet

Asterisk PBX on Ethernet

DummyBoy

Hello,
I'm very interested in this discussion about asterisk pbx. I realized
a little pbx with a TDM400P card and it worked well. Now I'd like to
try another solution with more phones.
Doug says I could use IP phones on ethernet....this seems interesting.
I searched for internet but I didn't find a scheme about components
needed and how to connect them.
I think I need:
- a digital line from my local telco for example a E1 ( I live in
Europe).
- a digium card supporting E1 line on a PBX server with Asterisk to
connect the PBX machine to the E1 line. But which card? T110P or
TE410P ?? What is the difference??
- a ethernet card to let Asterisk speak with IP phones
- a hub or switch to connect PBX to phones

E1 <---> Digium card <---> PBX (asterisk) <---> eth card <--->
hub/switch <---> IP phones

Is this all I need?? Is the connection diagram correct??

Thanks in advance to everyone.

DummyBoy

Doug McIntyre

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (DummyBoy) writes:
>I'm very interested in this discussion about asterisk pbx. I realized
>a little pbx with a TDM400P card and it worked well. Now I'd like to
>try another solution with more phones.
>Doug says I could use IP phones on ethernet....this seems interesting.
>I searched for internet but I didn't find a scheme about components
>needed and how to connect them.

There's lots of IP phones.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phones

gives a list of what people have used specificly with Asterisk and
written up something about it.

>I think I need:
>- a digital line from my local telco for example a E1 ( I live in
>Europe).

Sure, the price break even point seems to be about 10-12 trunks or so
before an E1/T1 seems to be worthwhile.

>- a digium card supporting E1 line on a PBX server with Asterisk to
>connect the PBX machine to the E1 line. But which card? T110P or
>TE410P ?? What is the difference??

Well, the TE110P is a single port, and the TE410P is a quad port, and
the cost is likewise more for the one with 4 times the hardware on one card.

>- a ethernet card to let Asterisk speak with IP phones

Sure, but I'll bet the machine you put Asterisk on already has
ethernet already unless you want to run them totally seperate than
your data network. Its really how much data you have going around and
how crticial for no voice quality disruption you need.

Sure. Lots of info on the http://www.voip-info.org/ site.

Virtual PBX,Private Phone Systems,PBX Sip,Phone Switches,Pabx,Free Internet Calls likatrib@gmail.com VOIP 0 05-20-2006 11:41 PM
Virtual PBX,Private Phone Systems,PBX Sip,Phone Switches,Pabx,Free Internet Calls likatrib@gmail.com VOIP 0 05-09-2006 01:07 AM
asterisk pbx ethernet DummyBoy VOIP 0 01-14-2005 10:13 AM
Asterisk PBX on Ethernet DummyBoy VOIP 2 01-14-2005 02:52 AM