Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VoIP Between two offices

VoIP Between two offices

TechGladiator

I am trying to figure out what the best way will be to transfer a call
from one office to another. Here is the scenario, I have just been
contracted by a company to provide tech support for them. Their office
and mine if connteced via a broadband VPN connection and we both have
two different phone systems (Lucent Partner and Nortstar/nortel). The
take the phone calls in their office but they want to be able to
transfer the call to my office so I do remote support.
Any Ideas without spending a fortune?

Thanks
Mike

Mike Schumann

I used a pair of Sipura SPA-3000s. They have one FXS and on FXO interface.
You can use the FXO to connect the unit to the Partner system as an
extension phone. You should be able to do the same thing on the Nortel unit
(may require a special interface to handle a POTS device).

The Sipura lets you configure connections using direct IP dialing, so you
don't need a SIP server to make this work.

Overall, these are great units for about $90 each.

Good luck,
Mike Schumann

"TechGladiator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am trying to figure out what the best way will be to transfer a call
> from one office to another. Here is the scenario, I have just been
> contracted by a company to provide tech support for them. Their office
> and mine if connteced via a broadband VPN connection and we both have
> two different phone systems (Lucent Partner and Nortstar/nortel). The
> take the phone calls in their office but they want to be able to
> transfer the call to my office so I do remote support.
> Any Ideas without spending a fortune?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Miguel Cruz

TechGladiator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to figure out what the best way will be to transfer a call
> from one office to another. Here is the scenario, I have just been
> contracted by a company to provide tech support for them. Their office
> and mine if connteced via a broadband VPN connection and we both have
> two different phone systems (Lucent Partner and Nortstar/nortel). The
> take the phone calls in their office but they want to be able to
> transfer the call to my office so I do remote support.
> Any Ideas without spending a fortune?

You can plug a Cisco ATA-186, available cheaply on eBay, into these phone
systems as if it were a normal phone line. Then set up special rules to deal
with that line on either end.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Mike Schumann

That would not work well with the Avaya Partner system. A regular ATA
device, with only FXS ports, would need to be connected to a CO line port on
the partner. There's no good way on a partner system to transfer an
incoming call to a CO line.

The nice thing about the Sipura SPA-3000 is that it has an FXO port, so you
can make it look like an extension to the partner system and transfer calls
to it. Multitech also has VOIP gateways with FXO ports, but these typically
sell for $400 vs. $90 for the Sipura.

Mike Schumann

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mike Schumann wrote:
> That would not work well with the Avaya Partner system. A regular

ATA
> device, with only FXS ports, would need to be connected to a CO line

port on
> the partner. There's no good way on a partner system to transfer an
> incoming call to a CO line.
>
> The nice thing about the Sipura SPA-3000 is that it has an FXO port,

so you
> can make it look like an extension to the partner system and transfer

calls
> to it. Multitech also has VOIP gateways with FXO ports, but these

typically
> sell for $400 vs. $90 for the Sipura.
>
> Mike Schumann

I think thats exactly what I was looking for. I will have to give them
a try.. and I will rather spend $180 for trying than $800..
Thanks again.

Miguel