Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Net2phone over dialup

Net2phone over dialup

stanley_reynolds

Tried to use Net2phone over a dialup modem and the delay was very long
2 to 7 seconds this was cross town to a broadband modem. 56k modem
connects at anywhere from 31k to 40k but I know the unlink speed is
much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed
will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess
is 19,200 but I'am not sure.

Dmitri

stanley_reynolds wrote:

> Tried to use Net2phone over a dialup modem and the delay was very long
> 2 to 7 seconds this was cross town to a broadband modem. 56k modem
> connects at anywhere from 31k to 40k but I know the unlink speed is
> much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed
> will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess
> is 19,200 but I'am not sure.

From what I've tried so far only Skype's quality did not come down
significantly over dial-up, and that is not guranteed, either. A lot
depends on the voice compression and the actual architecture you are
using: client-to-server for Net2phone (and other "traditional" VoIP
providers) and peer-to-peer for Skype.

I don't recall the actual bandwidth Net2Phone requires for their VoiceLine
service, but it is higher than that of a 56K modem.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

Martin²

Babble also claimed it works on dial up, yes it will connect and NO you
can't hold a conversation !
Regards,
Martin

Tim Keating

On 4 Jan 2005 02:16:50 -0800, "stanley_reynolds"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tried to use Net2phone over a dialup modem and the delay was very long
>2 to 7 seconds this was cross town to a broadband modem. 56k modem
>connects at anywhere from 31k to 40k but I know the unlink speed is
>much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed
>will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess
>is 19,200 but I'am not sure.

Set the modem to computer baud rate to 115.2K, 230.4K, or higher.
Make sure your modem compression settings are turned on.
Shut off any encryption.
Shut off PPP (software compression) compression. (see
networking/type of dialup connection settings).

(The last two items add significant variability to the dial up
connection latency.)