Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > IP2006 SIP Phone codecs missing!

IP2006 SIP Phone codecs missing!

Martin 53N 1W

I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...

In the features list is:
"Supports G.711, G.729, G.726, G.723.1"

amongst all the other usual expected features.

Trying it and the phone only negotiates G711! This immediately swamps my
cable uplink. In the setup, the other codecs are greyed out "none"
(unavailable).

A web search only found the same firmware as is already installed. (And
the other codecs are mentioned in the 'release notes'.)

Anyone know what to tweak to enable the G.729, G.726, G.723.1 codecs?

Or hasn't the firmware been written yet?!

(No reply from the supplier so far.)

Thanks,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Mitel Lurker

If G.711 "swamps" your cable uplink then I'd want to be talking to the
cable modem service provider. We're only talking about 80k bps here.

Also.... successfully negotiating for other protocols requires that the
desired protocol is
#1, available & supported at the other end, and
#2, fully compliant with -your- protocol

You have to realize that so-called "stated compliance" with any of the
various "Gee-Dots" is no sure-fire guarantee. These specifications each
contain permissive elements that are subject to interpretation. Example,
look at Q.sig and talk to people who have tried (unsuccessfully) to
implement it between competing PBX manufacturers. They might have been
able to get it working, but only with the most fundamental features (CLID
Name & Number) and almost never with the full set of "claimed" features
(Msg Wtg, Call Fwd'g Reason Codes, Route Optimization, Step-Back on Busy,
Remote DSS/BLF, Remote ACD Agents, etc.)

In article <0YSnd.256$(E-Mail Removed)> Martin 53N 1W
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...
>
>In the features list is:
>"Supports G.711, G.729, G.726, G.723.1"
>
>amongst all the other usual expected features.
>

>Trying it and the phone only negotiates G711! This immediately swamps my
>cable uplink. In the setup, the other codecs are greyed out "none"
>(unavailable).
>
>A web search only found the same firmware as is already installed. (And
>the other codecs are mentioned in the 'release notes'.)
>

>Anyone know what to tweak to enable the G.729, G.726, G.723.1 codecs?
>
>Or hasn't the firmware been written yet?!
>

>(No reply from the supplier so far.)
>
>Thanks,
>Martin

Martin 53N 1W

> In article <0YSnd.256$(E-Mail Removed)> Martin 53N 1W
>
>>I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...

[...]

Mitel wrote:
> If G.711 "swamps" your cable uplink then I'd want to be talking to the
> cable modem service provider. We're only talking about 80k bps here.
>
> Also.... successfully negotiating for other protocols requires that the
> desired protocol is
> #1, available & supported at the other end, and
> #2, fully compliant with -your- protocol

[...]

The cable modem uplink is 2.5Mbit/s, rate capped at 64kbit/s ((

G.711 is actually 107.2kbit/s including all the packet overheads...

Those other codecs negotiate fine if I use a Grandstream BudgeTone100.
The problem seems to be that they are just not in the IP2006 phone's
firmware!

Anyone else know them to be there and operating for the IP2006?

Regards,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3

Mitel Lurker

In article <A28od.712$(E-Mail Removed)> Martin 53N 1W
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The cable modem uplink is 2.5Mbit/s, rate capped at 64kbit/s ((

(( indeed...

>G.711 is actually 107.2kbit/s including all the packet overheads...

On a Mitel system the G.711 protocol is only slightly greater than 80k bps
total, including packet overhead. This number coincides with Mitel's
engineering documentation and has been confirmed by us with a sniffer.

>Those other codecs negotiate fine if I use a Grandstream BudgeTone100.
>The problem seems to be that they are just not in the IP2006 phone's
>firmware!

>Anyone else know them to be there and operating for the IP2006?

>Regards,
>Martin

Martin 53N 1W

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...

[...]
> Anyone know what to tweak to enable the G.729, G.726, G.723.1 codecs?

Answer from their support:

###
To enable a high compressed codec do the following:

Go into the Web page "System" option. [At the bottom of the page,] In
the feature key input field on this page please input "enableall".
###

All now seems to work.

()
Martin