Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Satellite receiver calling out over VOIP?

Reply
Thread Tools

Satellite receiver calling out over VOIP?

 
 
Hemant Shah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004

Folks,

I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
think it is $5 per month per receiver).

Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?

Thanks.


--
Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) \ / ---------------------
X against HTML mail
TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
-----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pepperoni
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004

"Hemant Shah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnar9o$a4t$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Folks,
>
> I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
> have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are

connected
> to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera

connected
> to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver

(I
> think it is $5 per month per receiver).
>
> Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
>
> Thanks.
>


Vonage works just like a regular phone line. The only difference is that
you need to dial "1 (area code) (number)" , but otherwise it functions as a
normal phone. You even use a normal phone as a handset.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mitel Lurker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2004
Rather than the ability to dial, the question is whether or not you'll be
able to connect and pass data both ways. My gut feeling is it won't work,
but that's just a guess based on my own knowledge of voip and the complete
lack of any QOS protocols over the public Internet. Any device that needs
to pass TONES (modem tones/fax tones) over a VOIP connection is going to
be facing a tough challenge.

How *sure* are you of this phone line "requirement"? I cannot answer for
DISH, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that with DirecTV the
phone line is *NOT* mandatory.

Yes indeed, DTV will really push for it but cannot force you nor make it a
condition of service nor surcharge you for any receivers which are not
connected to a phone line. However, what they absolutely *CAN* do is deny
you the ability to order PPV events through your receiver. In this
situation you have to either place PPV orders verbally over the phone ($5
surcharge per order) or else order them over the Internet (no surcharge).

In article <cnar9o$a4t$(E-Mail Removed)> Hemant Shah
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>
>Folks,
>
> I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
> have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
> to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
> to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
> think it is $5 per month per receiver).
>
> Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
>
> Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
shuffle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2004
It does work. Bell Expressvu has the same technology in Canada and this
works without problem over a Vonage line.


Hemant Shah wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
> have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
> to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
> to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
> think it is $5 per month per receiver).
>
> Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
>
> Thanks.
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kyler Laird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2004
Hemant Shah <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage),


Don't do it! (There are better providers.)

> I also
> have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
> to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
> to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
> think it is $5 per month per receiver).


I have Dish Network and multiple recievers too. I haven't connected them
to a phone line but I think mine are grandfathered from the days when there
wasn't an extra charge for not wiring them. (I used ISDN when I first
subscribed to Dish Network and I've been hoping to drop wired phone service
ever since.)

> Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?


Ug. Good question. I'm very doubtful that you'll be successful with such an
arrangement. On the plus side, the receivers are able to work though
"wireless phone jacks" so they can't be *too* demanding (2400 baud?). I have
unfounded doubts that even a slow modem would make it through codecs that
Vonage (or most anyone else) supports though.

I've considered setting up a modem and a line simulator to turn the DN modem
data back into digital form. Then you could easily ship it via IP to a real
modem somewhere else. All the technology is available. I'd be surprised if
no one has done it already but I haven't found a ready-to-go solution.

--kyler
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hemant Shah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2004
While stranded on information super highway Mitel wrote:
> Rather than the ability to dial, the question is whether or not you'll be
> able to connect and pass data both ways. My gut feeling is it won't work,
> but that's just a guess based on my own knowledge of voip and the complete
> lack of any QOS protocols over the public Internet. Any device that needs
> to pass TONES (modem tones/fax tones) over a VOIP connection is going to
> be facing a tough challenge.
>
> How *sure* are you of this phone line "requirement"? I cannot answer for
> DISH, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that with DirecTV the
> phone line is *NOT* mandatory.


This is just another way they want to make money. Dish network support
person told me that I DO NOT have to connect the phone line to the receiver
but then I have to pay $5.00 per month per receiver. He told me why I needed
to pay, but I cannot remember it now, it had nothing to do with Pay per
view. He said that if the receiver cannot connect to their system over the
phone line, I will get big black square in the middle of my screen unless
I connect phone line or pay them $5.00 per month per receiver.
He also told me that few customers did not have problem using Vonage with
Dish receiver, I have to change the setting in the receiver so that it dials
*99 before dialing out.

I have not tried it yet.

>
> Yes indeed, DTV will really push for it but cannot force you nor make it a
> condition of service nor surcharge you for any receivers which are not
> connected to a phone line. However, what they absolutely *CAN* do is deny
> you the ability to order PPV events through your receiver. In this
> situation you have to either place PPV orders verbally over the phone ($5
> surcharge per order) or else order them over the Internet (no surcharge).
>
> In article <cnar9o$a4t$(E-Mail Removed)> Hemant Shah
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>
>>Folks,
>>
>> I am considering gettting VOIP service at home (probably vonage), I also
>> have 2 dish network receivers (one is a DVR) at home and they are connected
>> to a land line. Dish network said that I have to have the receivera connected
>> to the phone line, otherwise I have to pay extra per month per receiver (I
>> think it is $5 per month per receiver).
>>
>> Will the satellite receiver be able to dial out over VOIP?
>>
>> Thanks.

>


--
Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed) \ / ---------------------
X against HTML mail
TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
-----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mitel Lurker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2004
In article <cnt1b1$26l$(E-Mail Removed)> Hemant Shah
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:


> This is just another way they want to make money. Dish network support
> person told me that I DO NOT have to connect the phone line to the receiver
> but then I have to pay $5.00 per month per receiver. He told me why I needed
> to pay, but I cannot remember it now, it had nothing to do with Pay per
> view. He said that if the receiver cannot connect to their system over the
> phone line, I will get big black square in the middle of my screen unless
> I connect phone line or pay them $5.00 per month per receiver.
> He also told me that few customers did not have problem using Vonage with
> Dish receiver, I have to change the setting in the receiver so that it dials
> *99 before dialing out.


The issue is that DISH is being anal about making certain every receiver
is actually located at the same residence where it is subscribed. This
"requirement" effectively prevents you from getting multiple receivers all
on the 1 same account and then passing them out to your relatives and
buddies and splitting the bill.

DirecTV cares too, and if discovered will terminate service, but they are
not quite as anal about it. All DTV will do is restrict those receivers so
that they cannot place PPV orders (which when you think about it is to
your advantage because it prevents your degenerate friends/relatives from
running up your PPV bill)
 
Reply With Quote
 
johnwitko johnwitko is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
 
      11-04-2008
Some years ago I had a neighbor that had a cheater card he obtained our of Canada. Not sure if this is still done. The cheater card allowed him to receive Dish Network programing. However he learned quickly that the Dish people use the phone line to zap his illegal card and render his receiver inop. The "zap" apparently ignored the proper card. While the PPV thing is good the ability to prevent illegal cards is a big priority so their signal is not being stolen.
 

Last edited by johnwitko; 11-04-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
 
johnwitko johnwitko is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
 
      11-04-2008
The reason I am at this site is I just installed Vonage in a DSL internet setup. After two days of wrangling with low level Vonage help I finally got a guy to help tweak the IP address in my router and now have a super stable setup. But.....since I have the Dish Network TV I get the message when I power up the receivers indicating a $5 per rcvr fee would be accessed until the phone line was reconnected. I have been seeking a solution ever since. The Vonage folks are willing to pay to re-wire my telephone via a 3rd party to have an isolated phone connection from the vonage phone out to both the receivers. I am amazed that somewhere along the way a solution has not be set forth by Vonage long in advance to avoid the millions of frustrated customers, or that maybe the Dish people haven't come up with a solution to promote Dish over DirectTV.

At this point the internet solutions I have found all seem to point to the RCA wireless phone connect as a work around.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enzster Enzster is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
 
      09-03-2009
On this same line, is there a filter that would prevent the sat receiver from dialing out yet allow you to receive call display?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G Theo Markettos UK VOIP 2 02-14-2008 03:27 PM
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina Computer Support 0 12-25-2007 06:15 PM
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina Digital Photography 0 12-25-2007 06:07 PM
Pioneer DVR3100S problem with Satellite receiver Samsung DCR 9500 Fredrik Bengtsson DVD Video 0 12-12-2003 02:32 PM



Advertisments